Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amalgamation with mercuric iodide
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 20:33
Amalgamation with mercuric iodide

Has anyone ever used HgI2 for amalgamating aluminum? I'm trying to find out how well this compound works compared to HgCl2, or Hg2Cl2 (never actually used that one because everyone has always said it wasn't very good for Al/Hg). Apparently it is practically insoluble at 6mg/100ml, and this makes me wonder if it would work for the stated purpose. Of course I will probably try it anyway since it's so easy to make, but I though I would try to get some input here first.

Thanks
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 21:52

i have never done it, but I was wondering, coincidentally toady, how the mercuric chloride gets past the oxide layer?

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 22:04

I barely know what I am talking about here, but could it have to with a small reaction between the aluminum oxide layer and the mercuric chloride forming aluminum chloride and a bit of mercuric oxide which is permeable? Just thinking this because the copper compounds I've been working with have a propensity to eat through anything metal, oxide layer or not. Copper chloride went right through stainless steel (effectively chromium oxide) and ate holes through aluminum foil when dust was left on a piece overnight. Another accidental one was ammonium chloride eating holes through my stainless steel bowl :( It was an impurity in some MnO2 that I was sure I had gotten pretty clean with many washings, but apparently a few small crystals survived.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Flip
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-1-2007 at 06:09

HgI2 works great, but it takes a few days for the mercury to dissolve while preparing it. You'll note the discharge of the I2 color, its distinctive. It's a little harder on the precision of your ratios, but if you plan ahead you'll save time and its hard to screw it up.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 20-1-2007 at 07:09

Gallium will "amalgamate" with Alu directly, perhaps you could work from there?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top