Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adapting a magnetic stirrer (without heating) with a hotplate
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 16:30
Adapting a magnetic stirrer (without heating) with a hotplate

I plan to get magnetic stirrer sometime in the future, but I due to the fact I already have a hotplate on hand, I see no point in getting a magnetic stirrer with heating. The problem is that I have no idea how to adapt a magnetic stirrer with a hotplate without damaging the stirrer with the heating. Is there a viable adaptation in which I could heat and stir using the two separate pieces of equipment?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 17:59

I you only want to heat round bottom flasks, you can use a heating mantle on top of the stir plate, it works fine. But that requires a way to control the voltage and/or current flow (could be a simple light dimmer), adding even more cost, so only makes sense if you plan to use it a lot.

You can also use an oil or water bath, those are available with separate heaters, but also pricy.

Trying to heat and stir on separate items is pointless, not practical. I would just buy another stirring hotplate, and then you have 2 useful lab items. I have combo units, hotplates, and stirrers, each has its uses. And not only are single use items cheaper to buy, buy they usually last longer before breaking. So there are some advantages to having a couple.

Go To Top