Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Malachite and acetic acid.
Axismundi000
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 10:38
Malachite and acetic acid.

I know it is possible to make a kind of malachite pigment from acetic acid starting with copper hydroxide but if I have too much acetic acid does it continue onwards and become copper acetate?

The basic online chemistry equation balancer gives this for malachite and acetic acid.

4CH3COOH + Cu2CO3(OH)2 = 2Cu(CH3COO)2 + 3H2O + CO2

So presumably if I have an excess of acetic acid and the 'malachite' I get copper acetate?

Hope you guys don't mind me asking such basic stuff but if you do mind, my apologies and just don't respond.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 11:14

Do you have a link to the procedure you're following? It would depend on what the pigment requires; if it's all copper acetate, an excess of acetic acid is what you want since that will convert it fully. If the pigment is some mixture of hydroxide and acetate, you'd need the corresponding amount of acetic (less than stoichiometric).

For future reference, such questions are better suited to the Beginnings subforum. Welcome to the forum!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 11:57

This "Crystal Growing" thread will give you a wealth of information:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=55...

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 13:11

If your goal is to make pure malachite from other copper salts I don't see how acetic acid could be useful. Malachite is a basic copper carbonate, there are (at least) two forms with different compositions (malachite and azurite IRRC), and their formation is sensitive to both temperature, concentrations and pH. A direct precipitation with a carbonate is the obvious route, but tends to produce mixtures of these.
Such direct precipitations also tends to form very fine particles, creating a mud that will barely filter out. The best method is to redissolve this precipitate in ammonia, then boil off the ammonia. This produces a dense precipitate of pure malachite that is much easier to process.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
18-5-2017 at 08:43
Axismundi000
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-5-2017 at 13:11

Thanks for the pointers.

I was just wondering why acetic acid didn't go to copper acetate when the online equation balancer shows a actual formula. Clearly the quantity of acetic acid is key when wanting artificial malachite rather than copper acetate because acetic acid will react with the malachite to give copper acetate. Appreciate the clarification.

Go To Top