Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: methylamine
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 18:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Furch
Organikum, why would you go and post something like that? Just because someone has done something less ethical on the Internet, which would in this case at most result in an insult to another person on the Internet, that doesn't justify that you try and contribute to exposing their real life identities. That is weak.
Thats not only weak but it is disgusting. But do have any other idea how to retrieve the information contributed by many to the-hive and stolen by few in a even more disgusting scam (dont forget the download restrictions imposed before!) besides plain blackmail? You are welcome for I have not - I ran out of ideas and of goodwill. And I am well aware that I expose myself to retalation - on the net and in realworld. But I am not afraid on the net and I completely reorganized my realworld settings so I dont have to worry about this either. I would not have dared this if otherwise - Osmium IS a dangerous asshole.

I AM NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP ON THIS. NEVER.

Quote:
Originally posted by Furch
On the other notice, what do you mean when you say that extraction of methylamine*HCl from a heap of ammonium chloride is a bitch, when you earlier in your post state that 98% purity can be obtained from simple recrystallization from EtOH, and even better from IPA (which is of course true)?
Try it and you will see. Its just not so easy to dissolve methylamine.HCl out of a heap of ammonium chloride with which it was cocrystallized. Why? What do I know, encapsulation?, common crystal lattice?, Magic? I dont give a fuck, I tried and saw, others tried and saw the same and textbook procedures point in the same direction. Of course you will aleways find somebody on the net who found an easy way to do this better then Vogel or Gattermann. Usually thats just bullshit of course, but its so COOL!

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
Furch
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 20:58

Alright... I wasn't even aware that anything was stolen from the Hive, and to be honest, I haven't even looked into the Hive archives that thoroughly since it shut down. My point is that your critique may very well be accurate (you seem to know a lot more about it than me). But still I urge you not to try and blow peoples anonymacy. It's one of the privileges at least I, for one, enjoy on the Internet... At least to the extent that it is possible these days.

Concerning recrystallization of MeAm from a heap of ammonium chloride - I find the Orgsyn method (Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 1, p.347 (1941); Vol. 3, p.67 (1923)) quite functional actually. I dried the mixture of products over concentrated sulphuric acid in a dessicator, went at it with a mortar afterwards, then started boiling IPA (instead of EtOH as in the article). It smells like methylamine, it behaves like methylamine, the supposed ammonium chloride sure as hell tastes like ammonium chloride, and yeah, you get the picture ;).

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 00:19

Furch how did you work up the nitro reduction of nitromethane using iron and hydrochloric acid if you don't mind telling?

I made methylamine by this route and I remember using IPA to purify it but I don't remember the work up I used to get rid of the iron chlorides and such.

[Edited on 16-2-2007 by chochu3]

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
Furch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2007 at 02:10

It was a long, long time ago, and all my notes are gone... But I remember doing it sans alcohol - i.e. water only. When the acidic reduction seemed complete (I left it to reflux for at least 16 hours), the whole mess was made basic with NaOH, then reflux was continued for more hours... During the entire reaction a hose was lead from the top of the condenser down into some kind of solvent in a beaker with magnetic stirring.

I would've done it very differently today, but as I've mentioned about five hundred times by now, the cause of the experiment was to confirm that it worked at all ;)

I don't recommend that "work up" - make up your own instead... It's probably a lot more efficient!

\"Those who say do not know, those who know do not say.\" -Lao Tzu
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 21-2-2007 at 21:33

nitromethane can be aquired otc in asia my friend. best you take up remote control car racing as a hobby.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2012 at 21:43

On article page 1664 ( 3rd pg of pdf ) under the heading Alkylureas
" It was found that methylurea and 1,3-dimethylurea reacted with ammonium sulphamate
in a manner analogous to that of urea. Methylamine was isolated from the reaction mixtures."
This is also mentioned in the opening abstract , table IV does not show this perhaps an ommision ?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=262451&...

Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 16:43

I thought methylamine gas dissolved nicely in water, so why are you guys doing it in HCl?
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 20:38

Methylamine gas is usually dissolved in water to make 40% aqueous solution or sometimes methanol but I think they are referring to methylamine hcl, the hydrochloride salt form.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top