Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My failure in making petn
tank man
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 06:17
My failure in making petn

First,i am a chinese and my english is not very good, in larst week,my first time in making petn,i add pentaerythrite which isnt been grinded to mixed acid ,pentaerythrite isnt dissolve and temperature isnt rise
tank man
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 06:18

Why
Chisholm
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 06:26

We need much more information about what you did. An estimate of how much of each reactant, the addition rate, how long you waited, how you measured the temperature, etc.

PETN doesn't readily dissolve in mixed acid; you have to add the pentaerythrite slowly to very concentrated nitric acid (HNO3), let it dissolve, and only then add the sulfuric acid (H2SO4), very slowly.

If the pentaerythrite isn't powdered, but is instead large chunks, then it would dissolve so slowly in mixed acid that the reaction could take a very long time, releasing heat so slowly that it wasn't noticeable.

NOTE: PETN requires very concentrated nitric acid (at least 90%, preferably 98% or more) to get decent yields. If all you have is 67% or 70% nitric acid, you could try using more sulfuric acid than normal, but your yield will still be low.

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by Chisholm]
tank man
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by Chisholm  
We need much more information about what you did. An estimate of how much of each reactant, the addition rate, how long you waited, how you measured the temperature, etc.

PETN doesn't readily dissolve in mixed acid; you have to add the pentaerythrite slowly to very concentrated nitric acid, let it dissolve, and only then add the sulfuric acid, very slowly.

If the pentaerythrite isn't powdered, but is instead large chunks, then it would dissolve so slowly in mixed acid that the reaction could take a very long time, releasing heat so slowly that it wasn't noticeable. thanks,i will have anther experiment when i go to school next week

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by Chisholm]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 20-5-2017 at 11:00

Here is procedure in pictures for all harmless: https://vimeo.com/217289797

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 10:34

Anyone else take note of his username?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tank+man&tbm=isch

[Edited on 6/23/17 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Anyone else take note of his username?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tank+man&tbm=isch

[Edited on 6/23/17 by Melgar]

What about tank girl then...Popopeyooo :-)

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top