Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Deuterium lamp as neutron source
kratomiter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2017 at 07:31
Deuterium lamp as neutron source

Hi,

I realized that there are some cheap deuterium lamps available on eBay. Is it possible to make a neutron source from a deuterium lamp and an high voltage source?

I know that tungsten is not the best option as it don't form hydrides like titanium, but maybe it woth a try.
Assured Fish
Hazard to Self

Mood: Photodegradable

[*] posted on 20-5-2017 at 19:07

I had a look at them but i have one question, where is their source of deuterium? if its internal then i can't imagine they would last particularly long.
I suppose if you were to jury rig the bulb so that you could supply your own deuterium it could function quite well as a small fusor and would without a doubt produce some neutrons but it wouldn't be anymore than the typical home built Farnsworth fusor. I suppose if you were too lazy to build a fusor yourself then this might prove as a cheap alternative.
kratomiter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2017 at 08:43

Thnk you for your answer. I'm too lazy to build a fusor, I just want to play around with it and try to detect some neutrons or activated metals with them. It would be like a DIY neutristor. I also realized that the anode is made from Nickel, which easily forms hydrides.

Go To Top