Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: methyl nitrate
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 15-3-2013 at 07:46

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by SherlockHolmes  
I did not expect that the damage would be so small.

wtf?

u're getting stroppy cause the steel-target havent got more damage?

how about putting the ignitor ONTOP of the charge (like a shaped charge) to force the detonation to move towards the steelplate and not to the side of the charge? ;)

[Edited on 15-3-2013 by VladimirLem]
SherlockHolmes
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2013 at 09:04

Exactly detonator had to do but I knew until after the test :mad:

Sorry for my english. I am not from England. Thank you!
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:06

I had s cup of water/ammonia with MN on the bottom for storage. It appears the MN dissolves in the water and evaporates from the top, even trough the layer is on the bottom. After a week there's no MN in the cup, only water. Is it possible that some other process has taken place?
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 08:47

This looks like the generic methyl/ethyl nitrate thread, so I think this is the right place to post this.

I have an issue that might seem unusual. I'm trying to not make ethyl nitrate. I'm actually interested in making glyoxal (to synthesize ionic liquids), and am trying to avoid performing any unintentional nitrations. This is basically a sanity check of sorts, to make sure that I'm not doing something stupid. I have little experience reacting nitric acid with organics, so I'm approaching this with caution.

Debus originally made glyoxal by oxidizing ethyl alcohol slowly with nitric acid at "ordinary temperatures".

glyoxal_debus.jpg - 98kB

Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Volume 148

Generally they would do this by carefully pouring the alcohol on top of the acid, so that two layers would form without mixing. The reaction would gradually occur by diffusion of the two layers.

My old friend Debus was a very smart guy, but he lived during a time when people pipetted chemicals with their mouths, and tasted unknown substances to identify them. I hope he will forgive me for not trusting his procedures 100%.

A newer patent is a bit more descriptive, but starts directly from acetaldehyde:

Attachment: US3429929.pdf (224kB)
This file has been downloaded 604 times

I intend to use the methods from the patent, but rather start from ethyl alcohol instead, to attempt performing a one-pot reaction.

Basically, the plan is to react 0.5% copper(II) oxide (catalyst) with 50% nitric acid solution. A small amount of sodium nitrite (initiates reaction) will be added to absolute alcohol, and then the nitric acid will be slowly added under stirring to the alcohol (maybe over 1-2 hours). The temperature will be maintained at 40°C with a water/ice bath. Naturally, this will have to be done on reflux to keep the acetaldehyde from escaping.

Note that I'm forming nitrous acid in situ, that there is water in the reaction (50% nitric acid), and that the acid is being added slowly to keep the temperature at 40°C.

Am I properly avoiding the conditions that would perform a nitration?
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top