Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An arduino controlled pH adjuster
Mixe
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 05:31
An arduino controlled pH adjuster

I'm building my first chlorate cell and I'm having issues with the pH adjustment. Beeing a perfectionist, the "top-it-with-a-little-HCl-every-now-and-then"- approach is not satisfying to me.

So I found this:

Arduino compatible pH sensor

The setup would be: the sensor connected to an Arduino Nano with code that reads it at regular intervals (possibly correcting for temperature also), compares it to a set value, and then doses HCl or NaOh accordingly through control of two solenoid valves.

The only thing I wonder about is how to get the electrode to survive beeing submerged into the hot, corrosive solution for longer periods of time.
Has anyone done anything like this?

[Edited on 2017-6-4 by Mixe]

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 07:56

The pH electrode is glass and will probably survive just fine.

You might need to switch off the electrolysis current for a short while when you take the measurements because that might otherwise upset the voltage from the pH electrode.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 15-6-2017 at 04:08

In practice, pH sensing electrodes don't tend to last very long, and they have to be recalibrated frequently. I was in a research group a while back, that was studying the potential of using bound pH indicators on a polymer substrate, then measuring their color changes via optical sensors, and calculating pH from that.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 15-6-2017 at 11:24

You should probably be looking for ph buffer rather than some explicit ph adjustment.

[Edited on 15-6-2017 by byko3y]
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2017 at 07:53

You might want to read through this:

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/blog/2/entry-114-the-bucke...
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2017 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
In practice, pH sensing electrodes don't tend to last very long, and they have to be recalibrated frequently. I was in a research group a while back, that was studying the potential of using bound pH indicators on a polymer substrate, then measuring their color changes via optical sensors, and calculating pH from that.

In what amounts to a cell full of hot bleach, I'd bet on the glass electrode lasting longer. than dyed plastic.

bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2017 at 02:18
Peristaltic pump

Quote: Originally posted by Mixe  
I'm building my first chlorate cell and I'm having issues with the pH adjustment. Beeing a perfectionist, the "top-it-with-a-little-HCl-every-now-and-then"- approach is not satisfying to me.

So I found this:

Arduino compatible pH sensor

The setup would be: the sensor connected to an Arduino Nano with code that reads it at regular intervals (possibly correcting for temperature also), compares it to a set value, and then doses HCl or NaOh accordingly through control of two solenoid valves.

The only thing I wonder about is how to get the electrode to survive beeing submerged into the hot, corrosive solution for longer periods of time.
Has anyone done anything like this?

I would definately use a peristaltic pump instead of a solenoid valve. You can control it using two PWM outputs from the Arduino and is much more precise than simply using a solenoid. If you pick them up from ebay they cost about the same aswell.

Let me know if you need some schematics for the interface circuit.

Regards
Bandil
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 11:31

Go To Top