Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question about no electrolyte in electrolytic process
13enigma
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 08:31
question about no electrolyte in electrolytic process

There are videos on YouTube of people doing electrolysis without any electrolyte. They use metal electrodes that are relatively close to each other and when they turn on their power source the solution starts to fizz like if it had any electrolyte. How is this possible? What is the mathematical way of writing these reactions down If distilled water and copper electrodes are used? And will some copper deposit in the solution?
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
4-6-2017 at 08:32
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 11:08
Water is the electrolyte

If you start with completely pure H2O and any metal (that I can think of) electrodes,
when a potential difference (voltage) is applied across the electrodes a small current will flow as water is not a perfect insulator,
some of the H2O molecules autodissociate (break apart by themselves) to form ions, that can carry electrical charge from one electrode to the other
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ionization_of_water
and
most metals (and most things in this universe) dissolve a little in water to produce metalic ions that can transport electrical charge between electrodes
and
once the current starts flowing many many more metal ions enter the water, making it more and more conductive.

e.g. I first noticed this effect when I had pure (99.99%) silver wire as anode and cathode in pure distilled polished water,
impossible for me to measure the cell d.c. resistance because as soon as a voltage is applied, ionisation occurs and the resistance drops rapidly.
Water is the most amazing chemical that I have read about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvation_shell

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
13enigma
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
If you start with completely pure H2O and any metal (that I can think of) electrodes,
when a potential difference (voltage) is applied across the electrodes a small current will flow as water is not a perfect insulator,
some of the H2O molecules autodissociate (break apart by themselves) to form ions, that can carry electrical charge from one electrode to the other
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ionization_of_water
and
most metals (and most things in this universe) dissolve a little in water to produce metalic ions that can transport electrical charge between electrodes
and
once the current starts flowing many many more metal ions enter the water, making it more and more conductive.

e.g. I first noticed this effect when I had pure (99.99%) silver wire as anode and cathode in pure distilled polished water,
impossible for me to measure the cell d.c. resistance because as soon as a voltage is applied, ionisation occurs and the resistance drops rapidly.
Water is the most amazing chemical that I have read about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvation_shell

Amazing. So when you used the silver electrodes in the distilled water, what happened? I mean like how many grams of silver deposited in the solution, and how did the wires corrode quickly?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 17:53

The aim of that cell was to produce ionic/colloidal silver solution for ingestion and mouthwash.
I only ran enough coulombs through the cell to produce about 16 ppm silver in suspension,
(greater concentration leads to precipitation)

the silver wires had a little 'greyness' covering the anode,
(possibly a little silver oxide ?) and the wires were both dull after running the cell
(at less than 1 mA for many hours)
I did not weigh the loss of electrode material (silver) as I was not expecting a measurable change.

I wanted to measure the resistance of the cell just for its own sake, to understand the process a little better,
but even with a digital multimeter using the Ohms ranges, it was impossible to get a sensible resistance measurement,
the resistance plummets in seconds of voltage being applied.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
13enigma
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 19:32

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
The aim of that cell was to produce ionic/colloidal silver solution for ingestion and mouthwash.
I only ran enough coulombs through the cell to produce about 16 ppm silver in suspension,
(greater concentration leads to precipitation)

the silver wires had a little 'greyness' covering the anode,
(possibly a little silver oxide ?) and the wires were both dull after running the cell
(at less than 1 mA for many hours)
I did not weigh the loss of electrode material (silver) as I was not expecting a measurable change.

I wanted to measure the resistance of the cell just for its own sake, to understand the process a little better,
but even with a digital multimeter using the Ohms ranges, it was impossible to get a sensible resistance measurement,
the resistance plummets in seconds of voltage being applied.

This interesting. I always wondered how many times one can use a silver or copper electrodes before they "run out" of the molecules contained in them. Right now I'm just trying to produce silver clumps or mud slime in the solution so that I could later add that into nitrate and create silver nitrate. I want to make silver crystals once I have the silver nitrate. I know I can get it online but I don't want that. I just don't want to end up messing a dull and completely gone electrodes. Usually in the past I used NaCl. The silver wire lost a 2 grams but the solution always contained more than that. How is that possible?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 20:21

Quote: Originally posted by 13enigma  

This interesting. I always wondered how many times one can use a silver or copper electrodes before they "run out" of the molecules contained in them.

Look up Faraday's laws of electrolysis. When you know what is happening, Faraday tells you how much and how fast.
13enigma
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 09:17

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by 13enigma  

This interesting. I always wondered how many times one can use a silver or copper electrodes before they "run out" of the molecules contained in them.

Look up Faraday's laws of electrolysis. When you know what is happening, Faraday tells you how much and how fast.

What do you think about the 2 grams being lost? From the electrode that produce more than 2 grans to the solution

Go To Top