Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adapter to refill butane torch/lighters with 1lb propane, butane or Mapp tanks - & other adapters
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 09:48
Adapter to refill butane torch/lighters with 1lb propane, butane or Mapp tanks - & other adapters

I've come across MANY different adapters that allow either different gasses to be used or larger sources to be used to refill things like torches or even 1lb tanks. I've found all the various adapters I could find to go from a 30lb tank down to the smallest lighter. For people who use refillable or portable gas alot, these could be really helpful and for people who may want to mix fuels like a propane/butane mix (some stoves run much better with this supposedly), these will allow to refill cannisters with a few sources.

I came across this in a video and did a search for the adapter. I'm not sure if the link is the best adapter there is, but it looks like it would work. What it does is allow the 1lb tanks used for blow torches (propane, butane, MAPP) to refill lighters and torches that have the small press-down fill valve. It screws onto the top of the cylinder. The guy in the video used MAPP in a butane torch and it had a much hotter flame - IDK how long it could be used w/o harm but it was interesting that it could be done. I think replacing butane with propane may not be so bad as they have similar BTU value and propane would work better in very cold settings.

So, for those who don't know that these exist, maybe you may be able to benefit from them, especially if propane can be swapped in place of butane.

1lb tank (propane/MAPP/butane) screw connector -> lighter refill adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Primus-Filling-Adapter-Butane-Caniste...
adapter_.jpg - 78kB

Butane cannister (lighter refill can) to camp stove cannister adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Refill-Adapter-Stove-Cylinder-In...
butene refill to camp.jpg - 67kB

LPG 20lb+ tank valve adapter -> 1lb tank connection - to refill 1lb tanks from larger source
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Butane-Refill-Adapter-Gas-Cy...
LPG - 1lb tanl.jpg - 23kB

Camp stoves are a "Lindal Valve Canister" and look like this top and there is an adapter that allows the 1lb torch tank to be used instead. The second pic is the adapter, pic 1 is the camp stove cannister.
camp.jpg - 35kB tank to camp.jpg - 30kB

This is to refilll lighters/butane torches with a camp stove type cannister
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOTO-Butane-Gas-filling-Fill-adapter...
camp to lighter.jpg - 40kB

This allows the butane (lighter refill-er tanks) to refill camp cannister tanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butane-Refill-Adapter-Gas-Cylinder-T...
butane to camp.jpg - 61kB
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:16

I ran out of butane on my torch the other day and had a can with the incorrect adapter so I removed the fill port from the torch and I stuck a glass tube to the end of the butane can and squirted the butane into the fill port while on the torch . At first the butane evaporated off but as the can cooled the butane liquified and started filling up the torch. I then replaced the fill port screw and waited for it to warm up and pressurize, it worked great.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 11:45

The vapour pressure of propane (b.p. -42oC) is greater than butane (b.p. 0oC) at RT,
so there could be structural problems with things designed for liquid butane being filled with liquid propane :o

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 12:07

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
The vapour pressure of propane (b.p. -42oC) is greater than butane (b.p. 0oC) at RT,
so there could be structural problems with things designed for liquid butane being filled with liquid propane :o

Yes especially if the device gets hot. I've seen a lot of these devices used with propane but IDK for how long they were used or lasted. The main point was that the larger tanks (like the 1lb tanks) could be used to refill smaller ones not necessarily replacing the intended gas.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 18:41

I'm still more than a little concerned with the liquid propane option,
however,
this may allow some previously unatainable cryogenic temperatures, (e.g. vacuum trap)
with significant consideration for the volume of propane gas created of course :o

on second thoughts ... no, too risky for me.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur

Go To Top