Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrochemical exfoliation of graphite into graphene -The easiest way to make graphene in bulk
chironex
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:43
Electrochemical exfoliation of graphite into graphene -The easiest way to make graphene in bulk

Hi all. So I've been working on graphene for a long while now and have attempted all sorts of ways of making it. Everything from hydrothermal methods, to ultrasound exfoliation. After trying a bunch of different methods, my favorite thus far has to be the electrochemical route. Not only does it allow you to produce a ton of graphene very quickly, the reagents are really easy to come by and the procedure is very straight forward. I made a video going through the whole process
LINK TO VIDEO

I hope it helps those who are interested in working with graphene. I think this method really makes graphene a much more accessible material for people to experiment with.
subskune
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2017 at 06:56

Very nice channel!

Although I am much more interested in large sheets I tried this myself. I used 1 mol/l na2so4 and graphite electrodes as they are sold on ebay. The 3mm graphite decomposes in a few hours which is quite amazing. Unfortunately much of it is oxidized to co2 and only a fraction is peeling off and falls in suspension. I guess thats a problem with the sulfate. Since I have no ultrasonic bath I couldn't complete this synth. At the end you were left with a graphene suspension. Have you extracted dry flakes form it? How large are they? If they are quite small are they soluble in e.g. Toluene. It would be logical since they would behave much like polyaromatic hydrocarbons.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 11:27

Go To Top