Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Decarboxylation of amino acids (phenylalanine, tryptophan) in various solvents
oblivionbubble
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 03:55

Apologies for unclear text.

Yes, the hotplate was set to 300, the mixture averaged 150 and fluctuated between theesse numbers.

There were beautiful, white, almost transparent flakes of crystalline formation during the reaction. But....

I fuc+++ up. Wasnt so careful at the end, and the white degraded into engine grease : (

Is it still usable? I started with 160 g of tryptophan..... do not wish to fuck this up
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 10:43

Fuc+++ up is not IUPAC nomenclature, strictly speaking... :)

What happened? What did you do to achieve the engine grease state? Actually, did you do anything reckless or the reaction changed course and started to produce the grease on its own?

I wanted to write that experimenting at 160 g scale is cavalier only if you have a tried and proven method. Otherwise just silly. But you were already doing it so my warning would have been useless. Now you know. :)

Btw. something is still not clear. If I set my hotplate to say 300 C then the decarboxylation reaction is refluxing around 140 C in a fairly narrow range, say plus or minus 3-5 C !!! Surely not between 150 and 300 C. How did you measure the temperature of the mixture?

[Edited on 22-9-2019 by Pumukli]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top