Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Drizzle - kitchen soxhlet appliance
bandil64
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 10:37
Drizzle - kitchen soxhlet appliance

Hi all!

We've been working like maniacs for the past many months and have released this project:

https://drizzle.life

It is still under development, but its basically a cool designed automatic soxhlet extractor, designed for laymans use. It has temperature control on the extraction chamber that supports anything from -10 to 60 degrees celsius and automatically recycles the solvent for next extraction.

Please comment on the projects if you have any ideas, comments, suggestions etc.

Best regards
The ex-bee Bandil :)

DSC00130.JPG - 2.9MB
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 21:30

Very cool dude. Plant extractions and tinctures are 'my thing' right now.
Can't wait to see the "upcoming design".
Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the workings of your machine.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 23:32

Hi CJ.

I will elaborate further this evening, but overall it works like this:

A detachable solvent reservoir built into the machine feeds the solvent into an extraction chamber. We feed the solvent using peristaltic pumps. The extraction chamber holds the herbs you want to extract in a small metallic filter. We control the temperature of the solvent in the extraction chamber from around -10 degrees celc to +60 degrees, which gives you a great deal of control.

Once the extraction has proceeded for a determined amount of time its transferred using a peristaltic pump to the evaporation chamber. Here we evaporate it off, while monitoring the temperature of the liquid. We control the power used to evaporate in a 1:256 step resolution, meaning we can closely control the amount of power used to evaporate so we do not fry the goodies.

The solvent is re condensed using an efficient forced air condenser back into the internal reservoir.

We have designed the electronics around the Atmel x-mega platform and have added a BTLE interface for programming the device using your phone. The appliance is completely usable off-line using a built in jog wheel and OLED display. Its only if you want to get funky you need the phone.

We are intentionally working super hard on the aesthetic design as we'd like to see this in the hands of more "normal" people. It's important for our community that we get more people into fun chemistry :-D

Best regards
Bandil

[Edited on 21-6-2017 by bandil64]

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 00:25

Wow, that's VERY cool. Impressive stuff.

I have built a few extraction vessels in my day but none as hi-tech as that........!!

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished product

Design is my favorite part of the whole process......... :)

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Harristotle
Hazard to Others

Mood: I tink therefore I am

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 04:33

Really nice.
I like the innovation, and taking something new to kitchen market.

I would like to see you make a lot of money out of this.

May I politely suggest the following:

1) remove any Frankenstein references (I know, I also have this sense of humour. It gets me into trouble). Aim it at your "mom", nothing too creepy.

2) Focus on applications. People buy what they will eat/use. How about some turkish delight variants with variations on rose oil. A beautiful food picture, perhaps.

3) Give thought to cleaning it, if it is easy and goes in the dishwasher, it will get used, otherwise not.

Good luck though, the idea, and early view is just beautiful. I wish you all the best.

H.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 05:50

O brave new world,

That hath such people in ’t!

iso-ii-by-d-gold.jpg - 16kB

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 06:05

Good comments about cleaning!

Thanks for the post Bert, it looks like an ISO master from D Gold? First time i see one by the way.

Have you tried them?

Regards
Bandil

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 08:34

I refuse to answer on the grounds it would tell you how ancient I am.

But I can tell you, they make a very interesting table lamp if you drill out the condenser, add lamp electrics and a nice shade.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 03:59
Drizzle datasheet

Hi guys.

Just wanted to do a quick followup, as our design is now finished and our datasheets are out.

Check out the official datasheet here. Again, I would love comments, both good and bad.

Cheers,
Bandil

Attachment: Drizzle Pamphlet.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 484 times

drizzle.png - 1.8MB

[Edited on 18-7-2017 by bandil64]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 04:15

The specific mention of cannabis without mentioning other herbs makes your product seem like it is for 'druggies', reinforced by the lack of mention of other organics for perfume/essences/flovourings.

If that is your only target market then ok.

also, your page https://www.drizzle.life/check-out-drizzle
you put "kitched" instead of "kitchen"

according to the urban dictionary
"Kitched means being murdered or killing yourself in a brutal manner."

Not a good advertisement :D

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 07:57

Yep I agree, the mention of cannabis as the only "herb" (and it featuring prominently in the picture) immediately turns me off to the idea. While it does look very professional and I'm sure you put a ton of work into it, this looks like drug paraphernalia.

As Harristotle said, if you want maximum exposure of your product, aim it at moms. I can picture a housewife being interested in the essential oil extraction angle, then reading about cannabis and seeing pot leaves, then saying "oh my" and never speaking of that idea again. Regular people don't know the chemistry; if you don't spell out everything the machine can do, they will think pot is the only thing it can do.
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 11:15

Forgive my ignorance, but is not a coffee percolator a soxhlet extractor which lives in the kitchen?

[Edited on 18-7-2017 by diggafromdover]

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 11:19

not really as the solvent has not been distilled,
but it is an extractor

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 21:34

I dont want to kill anyone in a brutal manner, so i will get rid of the kitched tomorrow morning - thank you.

This datasheet is actually aimed at US cannabis dispensaries, which is why cannabis is prominently mentioned. We have also made another datasheet without cannabis which we use to test on gourmet chefs here in Denmark. I have just raised enough cash to get the 0 series production up and running and the first 20 demo units out to selected testers. Right now we dont know the potential non druggie applications well enough to target them. We need to launch and see what the market says soxhlet is good for. Maybe our killer application turns out to be ricin extraction from Castor jeans

The only market i have a strong positive gut feeling about is cannabis oil for cancer and parkinson patients. Thats where we start and pivot from there.

Thank you All, regards Bandil

[Edited on 19-7-2017 by bandil64]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 21:59

Quote: Originally posted by bandil64  
Maybe our killer application turns out to be ricin extraction from Castor jeans

[Edited on 19-7-2017 by bandil64]

You're leaving yourself wide open, LoL.

Do you have any videos of it in action? Where I live, It's actually illegal to use that apparatus to produce cannabis extracts using anything but glycerine as the solvent without a license and a conditional use permit, and it would be a PITA to get that changed. I'm curious about the products that it produces, though.

bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 00:37

No videos yet. We still only have Frankenstein (the prototype at the top) and are building the finished machine. Once we have something assembled i will do a lot of videos.

Regarding the legality of extracting cannabis with ethanol. The machine itself is being marketed as a generic extractor, but i am aware that some combinations of herbs and and solvents could be illegal.

Do you know why it is specifically illegal to extract with ethanol where you live? I suppose it also goes for chloroform, butane and other solvents?

Regards
Bandil
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 07:46

I don't really know. A lot of those cannabis laws don't really have a lot of rhyme or reason to them, so the real reason is probably something like: "The cockatrice cackled three times on the Thursday following the second blood moon." Either that or someone lobbied specifically in favor of unlicensed home glycerine extraction when cannabis was legalized.

But more to the point: Does this machine produce essential oils, or does it produce tinctures?

bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 08:48

Well technically its an absolute, since its an alcoholic extract that is evaporated till no ethanol is left. It can be programmed to leave alot of ethanol which would give the tincture.

We have chosen to use the word essential oil since most people know the term. A true essential oil is however usually made with steam distillation, but this is a poor choice for most bioactive components, which is why the automated soxhlet was out choice.

Regards Bandil
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 09:28

I see. It's definitely an interesting device; I'd think that brewing stores might be interested.

OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 11:50

The U.S. TTB rules might complicate things. While the ethanol used in the device already had taxes applied when purchased, the government likes to have the option to pick the flyshit out of the pepper, so unless another solvent is used this can be viewed as distilling and against federal law. I believe they even go so far as saying the distillation through freezing is also illegal.

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml

I would imaging marketing it as steam extraction in the U.S. would get you around the requirements. I have seen many stills available for sale from domestic manufacturers that have managed to navigate the legalities but I can only imagine importing such a device might get more complicated.
bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 12:20

We have access to manufacture directly in California. Would that help - ie. Not importing?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2017 at 12:48

I don't agree with everything that is being said about liquor laws here, but this is not really the right place to discuss them. That stated, if you bring a lot of Drizzles through customs, I practically guarantee that the feds will be investigating. I think that for many people, that's actually unlikely to be a serious problem, but if your customers are likely to be in violation of federal marijuana laws (which still technically carry the force of law), they don't want to be investigated, especially if they have a lot of cash.

Brewing stores sell full-blown stills designed for producing small quantities of spirits. Some of their biggest customers are licensed distillers, but I'm not going to speculate about who buys their small stills.

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 01:19

OK, so it's not a Soxlet per se, but rather an automated extractor/evaporator. A proper soxlet will ideally leave the sample free from any soluble material as it is extracted with distilled solvents, this will not. But for the intended application I don't really see the problem. If one wants high yields of very low concentration components a second extraction should take care of that.

A suggestion: Have you considered a secondary peltier condenser? This would increase solvent recovery, especially with low-boiling solvents.

Other than that it looks like a promising product. The dual marketing approach sounds sensible, one for cannabis use and one for herbal/culinary uses.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
bandil64
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-7-2017 at 07:22

Yes, we did look at a secondary peltier, but removed it because of too high cost.

When / if we do a v2 it will be one of the features we will consider.

Well, technically we are using distilled solvents for the extraction. It is simply stored in a reservoir in between and pumped in using a peristaltic pump instead when needed. It is still being distilled off before being poured into the reservoir.

Regards
Bandil
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 24-7-2017 at 05:45

Re: Peltiers: I figured it would be expensive, saving it for a 2.0 sounds like a sensible plan.

As for the distilled solvent you are right in that the solvent is distilled after each extraction, but with a proper soxlet the sample is repeatedly extracted with distilled solvents. This apparatus cannot reach 100% yield as some of the extract will always remain in the sample. But I'm sure it won't be noticeable unless you're trying to extract very low concentration products, and one can always repeat the process for increased yields.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top