Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Good and easy way to gelatinize PLX?
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 14:10

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
Let me just clarify that when I say "stronger", a better word may be "unequivocal", that is, a primary that cannot go low order, and cannot deflagrate. Also, it should be capable of initiating insensitive secondaries with just a few milligrams of primary. A number of materials can do this, and I happen to prefer these since I mainly experiment with very small main charges (on the order of a single gram), but as I said, that is mostly a matter of taste. The original poster said he uses large charges, so he can use larger detonators without issue.

Microtek... what primarys are you using that only need a few mg! LA needs 20mg for Tetryl. Are you using nitrotetrazolates?

Or are you just using low density PETN or ETN... I am guesing you could getaway with maybe 10mg of LA??

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 01:13

Of course, that is better using low weight of primary, but in practical is usually using bigger ammount 200mg. Even classic detonator which is as standard No. 8 is inside 300mg LA + 600mg PETN. Others words, if you use 200mg SADS + low density ETN as primer in combination, it will works always. Output segment can be high pressed 500mg ETN or PETN or RDX.
And of course, if you use solid cavity, for example 1mm steel or copper, you can use as primary mix ETN + CHP 1:1 (1:2) with density 0,8 - 1g/cc + classic high pressed ETN as output segment. Dr.

[Edited on 24-6-2017 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 07:33

Yes, I am working with nitrotetrazoles, exploring complexes of them with metals along with other ligands. But, once again, the charges I work with are usually smaller than a standard No. 8 detonator, so using such an initiator is overkill. Instead, I use compound caps that are maybe 2 mm in diameter and 4 mm long. This is just my area of interest (very small, highly engineered charges), since yours is somewhat larger charges, just go with a more usual setup.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 08:09

Explained. Nitro tetrazoles is - are really super HE material. Attempts is possible tested even in room in some box. For example micro EFP should by interesting. Liner only 6 - 8 mm of diamter and shooting on 500 mm distance target, for example steel plate 4 mm of thickness. ..huhaha...excuse me by OT....:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top