Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrodes don't decrease significantly after electrolysis
13enigma
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 22:08
Electrodes don't decrease significantly after electrolysis

I have been using silver and copper electrodes in a solution of sodium chloride. I usually end up with silver chloride or copper chloride depending on which is the anode. The anode slime I produce or the residue that comes off of the anode electrode (copper or silver) is quite a lot depending on the duration it's on. So after an hour of electrolysis I end up with 70 grams of silver chloride or copper chloride. But the electrode loss is 5 grams from a 1 ounce bar. What is going on here??????? Is it the tarnish build up that affects the reading mass? I ended up trying to get rid of the tarnish with baking soda and aluminium. But the Loss of grams in electrodes is still.minimal. please do not think I'm lying. I really need help why this happens.

<i>Edit by moderator : Removed unnecessary capitalization from the title</i>

[Edited on 6-24-2017 by gdflp]
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-6-2017 at 04:48
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 04:54

Is the 70 grams dry, and free of sodium chloride? For silver, 5 grams of metal (107.9 g/mol) should give 6.64 grams of chloride (143.3 g/mol). Excess mass must be impurities.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
13enigma
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 11:07

How does the math on that work? And is it the same with sulfides and oxides?
13enigma
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 11:09

And the loss of mass on the 1 ounce bar? Is that ok? I lost less than what was produced in the solution. Is that impure buildup.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 24-6-2017 at 12:31

Mass Loss from the silver bar is indicative of the actual number silver atoms dissolved or eroded off. This loss can be described in moles, which is useful to the chemist. Seeing as how silver chloride is only partially composed of silver, if a given number of silver atoms are consumed, the rest of your weight is chlorine. AgCl requires both, so the product will weigh more than just the lost silver.

But after you finish calculating the projected weight of AgCl that should be produced, based on the silver lost from the 1oz bar., there may be discrepancies high or low. Too much mass means you have contamination. Can't make more AgCl than the lost number of atoms allows. Too little mass of you product, and some is likely dissolved as a soluble salt, mechanicall lost in transferring or bound in some other way. Metacelsus pointed that out nicely for you.

Now if your real problem IS the minimal loss of silver, making a minimal ammount of AgCl product.. I would see if the surface of the silver bar is passivated in some sense, or did you oxidize your Cl- ions to Cl2 gas, or maybe forgot to add chloride in the first place? Sulfides and oxides will act similarly with respect to weight change based on empirical formula. But they may or may not allow the reaction to keep going the way chloride does. If the formed crust is tenacious, it may not spall off the bar.

Try cleaning the bar with citric acid or sulfamic acid. Both work in my experience, to clean tarnish off silver.

Go To Top