Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Understanding Vacuum Distillation.
tekkado
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2017 at 13:09
Understanding Vacuum Distillation.

Hi Guys,
I've been reading various threads about different vacuum pumps and reading about performing vacuum distillations.
The pumps available on eBay such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6CFM-1-Stage-Refrigerant-Vacuum-P...
All seem to pull 15 microns total vacuum and the CFM is the flow rate, correct that changes?
I've read some comments of users pulling 3mmHg with such a vacuum as above. This sounds too good to be true? Or is it just the beauty of Chinese manufacturing now a days?

Also applying a vacuum and boiling water at room temperature for example, is this considered a major vacuum on glassware? The guides I have read detail the set up and practical use of vacuums but no mention of safety?
Yet on here, have read accounts of glassware imploding. Are there any guidelines for carrying out vacuum distillations safely at higher vacuums?

Thanks,
Tek
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2017 at 13:52

My vacuum pump has similar ratings and can pull a 2 mm Hg vacuum with no problems. It's not Chinese (it bears a sticker saying it was "designed in the USA," but I guess it was probably manufactured in Mexico), but it was less than half the price of that vacuum pump.

In general, you should not use flasks under vacuum unless they are round bottom flasks or are designed for use under a vacuum, although you probably won't have any problems. Don't use cracked flasks under vacuum. You don't need special glassware for "higher vacuums," but you do need glassware that can be safely used under vacuum.

tekkado
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2017 at 15:23

Yeah they all seem so similar and just trying to wrap my head around how capable they are. I think i confused myself reading through the fridge pump sticky, applying that info to these pumps but they were talking about compressors.

Would using step down/up adapters between glassware joints be a no no?
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2017 at 16:47

I hardly ever use those, but I think that would probably be fine.

[Edited on 29-6-2017 by JJay]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 01:30

A good rule of thumb is that flasks less than a liter (or a liter or less for RBFs or flat-bottom rounds) can withstand a full vacuum as long as they aren't defective. Above that, you have to be more careful.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top