Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxy-acetylene implosion as an initiator
curiosity_cat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2017 at 21:56
Oxy-acetylene implosion as an initiator

2.JPG - 220kB

If your core was TNT or ANFO, something hard to detonate any chance copying what they did with nukes using Oxy-acetylene would work ?

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 02:21

The lens/shaped charge focus effects onto detonation wave works for gases, liquids or solids...

But gases don't reach a high VOD because they lack a good density what has a strong impact onto detonation pressure (DP) and onto VOD (velocity of detonation).

Increasing the density of the gas mix acetylen-oxygen is a no go because it will become hell sensitive to shock and probably explode during the compression process...also very sensitive to static electricity and surfacial catalysis once compressed (acethylen may polymerize explosively).

Also VOD/DP is usually higher for solids than for liquids than for gases....thus correlated to the speed velocity of sound into the material.

Maybe if the device is large enough you will succeed into activating a TNT or ANFO core...but it is far from sure.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
curiosity_cat
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 08:16

I discovered the power of Oxy-acetylene before the internet and Youtube, I noticed that snap when shutting off the torch and thought if that little bit in the torch tip makes that snap putting some in a bag should be a little better so I put about 2 litres in a bag, placed it on the ground in front of me and dropped a match on it. I was quite shocked by the results. Oh S be careful with this !! Static electricity that would suck. Next came a balloon inside the leg of a pair of jeans and as I am sure this forum knows the denim was no match for it.

I knew the math of it, oxygen with its 6 and all that but wow chemistry is more interesting then I thought. I got the idea for the Oxy-acetylene implosion to set off something else when reading the explosive section of the world book encyclopedia.

On the same subject, sort of, I am glad I went through the Tesla coil phase before the internet, mine was nothing compared to whats online now but was a really fun project and the only way to see one was to actually build one.

[Edited on 29-6-2017 by curiosity_cat]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 00:22

A plastic garbage bag of 100L filled with the stoechiometric amount of acethylen and O2...has sufficient power to pull a brick wall down if exploded against it...

The gas mix can detonate at a rate of approx 3 km/s what is quite good for a gas mix.

The static electricity is the biggest problem because it can set off the bag...usually it is inadvisable to do such large testing...and potentially lethal or severly injuring if exploding during handling (can damage ear/organs and generates burns because setting a lot of energy free and strong overpressure).

The use of anti-static spray is often mentionned into démos.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
curiosity_cat
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 23:41

Fill the bag with a long ass length of fish tank tubing so you never have to be near the thing at all. Don't have a mix in the tube cause I would imagine it would burn back at that 3km sec and ruin the tube but that itself would be interesting if ready for it.

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by curiosity_cat]
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 06:45

The figure in the first post reminds me of an interesting setup I read about :
A 20 cm diameter steel hemisphere was covered on the inside with a 3-6 mm thick, uniform, layer of PETN and filled with a stoichiometric mixture of D2 and O2 at 70 atm(!). The gas mixture is initiated exactly in the centre with an exploding bridge wire.

I calculated the detonation parameters of such a gas mixture; it travels at 3150 m/s with a pressure of 1560 bar! Needless to say, it initiates the PETN layer when it reaches the hemisphere. As it detonates, the shock is reflected inwards and greatly amplified.

It's here the deuterium comes in: the pressure, temperature and density in the tiny focus spot in the middle is so high that nuclear fusion is initiated! This was confirmed by measurement of neutron flux.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2017 at 07:06

I wondered from time to time if you could do something like that by surrounding a balloon of D2 and O2 with a balloon full of H2 and Cl2 and putting a flash bulb in the middle.
When you fire the bulb it produced lots of light which passes through the D2/O2 and hits the H2 Cl2 where it initiates a reaction- spherically symmetrically all round the D2/O2 mixture - producing an inbound shock wave which might just produce fusion.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 04:09

In principle two conical/hyperboloic/spherical shaped charges facing each other with D2/O17 or D2/O18 entrapped inbetween may find some use into fusion reaction...
Maybe even some explosive deuteriated liquid like C14D3-N15O183 (fully higher isotopic CH3NO3)

I have been into contact with an old guy from french CEA...they where experimenting with spark/thunder explosion into plastic tubes filled with viscous hydrogenated polar solvents (glycerol)...apprently some monopolar dipole (kind of thunder ball folded onto itself) were involved and new elements occured that where not initially present into the media (chemically pure électrodes/Plastic PE container/Solvents and ionic salts)...(I cannot give much more details because information was provided at random during long e-mail exchanges).
I had proposed him to do the testing with some deuteriated solvents I own...but we did lost contact and he passed away...so experiment was not done (to my knowledge).

During the second study of the AZF Toulouse plant explosion by this CEA guy, it has been theoricized (from such electrode explosions into solvents)that magnetic monopoles can induce decomposition of explosives materials like NH4NO3 (enclosed into another pipe compartiment by simple "close" vicinity)...the magnetic field is so intense that is twists the NH4NO3 atoms somehow to nuclear fusion by an unknown low energy way...because many witnesses have exposed the viewing of weird slow lifting electric spark balls short before explosion (those are very similar to lab induced magnetic monopoles)...and this may have accounted for large amos explosion during earthquake and underground triboelectricity from mineral oïl containing rock crushing into Eastern countries...but also to the AZF incident (because a very large electric power decrease was noticed prior to explosion...the eventuality of an underground electrical shortcut (high voltage electrode explosion into underground water?) was mentionned below a famous state society (secret research/army incident?)...but was never clarified.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

curiosity_cat
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2017 at 10:09

161232056.gif - 32kB

I would imagine something like this method could initiate a high explosive, like a low explosive propelled 'slide hammer' .

A diamond anvil cell can compress materials to several million times atmospheric pressure.

Lets put these ideas together and make diamonds wile we are at it.

wenk300.jpg - 23kB

[Edited on 14-7-2017 by curiosity_cat]

Go To Top