Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CCl4 substitute or fair priced supplier
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 11:34
CCl4 substitute or fair priced supplier

I've searched threads and actually posted a thread about making CCl4 at home a couple years ago. That's not an option.

I have tried very hard to find suppliers for around 500 ml or a liter of it. It's either ridiculously expensive or a dead end. I've checked with a few suppliers in china and India too.

Does anyone have a decent source for it? I feel I'd only need to make one purchase and have it for a very long time. Life perhaps if I recover it using the rotovap.

Lastly, if it really is not an option any longer to purchase, what would be a great replacement for use as a solvent? It's used when reacting bromine with a ketone.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 11:50

Are you referring to alpha-bromination of the ketone via radical halogenation?

If so, I have used acetonitrile, acetic acid, and DCM for this purpose.

I would also be interested in a good source of carbon tetrachloride, and have contemplated further chlorination of chloroform.

[Edited on 29-6-2017 by Loptr]
Gurt
Harmless

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 15:25

If you would settle for a smaller amount, and are in the U.S. shoot me a U2U. I have a bit, and could spare a little if you want.
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 16:09

If you want to do alpha bromination on ketones - H2O2 and HBr in water works quite well and gives good yields. There's a paper in the Iran JOC - i'll track it down for you.

CCl4 is not available from almost every supplier because it is contrary to the Montreal Protocol to sell it.

Although there are acceptable scientific uses for this material- it is very difficult to buy because it is heavily controlled.

In Australia, every user of CCl4 needs a permit ($3000 AUD) so most people just find other solutions or know someone with a stock of it they can recycle (e.g. universities)

let me know if you have any questions in the interim,

A

hello@argentscientific.com

https://www.argentscientific.com/
sales@argentscientific.com
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-6-2017 at 16:19

An efficient solvent-free selective bromination of ketones by H2O2-HBr

Abolghasem Moghimi,*a Siavash Rahmani,a Reza Zare,a Morteza Sadeghzadeha and Shima Farajib

Iranian Journal of Organic Chemistry Vol. 3, No. 3 (2011) 707-711 A. Moghimi et al.

Attachment: j11a142.pdf (185kB)
This file has been downloaded 419 times

https://www.argentscientific.com/
sales@argentscientific.com
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 30-6-2017 at 18:52

I think I actually made CCl4 by gassing tetrachloroethylene with chlorine until I could see chlorine vapors leaving it, and then heating it in a sealed vessel. I was mostly trying to get hexachloroethane, and wanted to see if it was stable enough to use for similar purposes as CCl4. It wasn't. I'm not 100% sure of what I got since I sent the resulting mixture to a hazardous waste facility, but there are only so many compounds that can be derived from tetrachloroethylene and chlorine, and tetrachloromethane seems like one of the most likely.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top