Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: n-Pentane to n-Pentanol
hippo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 04:04
n-Pentane to n-Pentanol

Where I live (UK), it is very hard to find n-Pentanol but n-Pentane is a lot cheaper and easier to source. I would like to do some experiments with pentanol and possibly pentanoic acid so I'm wondering whether there is a feasible way to convert pentane to pentanol. Thanks in advance.
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 11:54

Short answer: No

Terminal CH3 units are often less reactive than internal CH2. There are no simple reactions that would selectively oxidise terminal carbons and no internal ones.

Radical chlorination, than substitution with OH- will produce some pentanol, but yield will be around few percent or less.

Also, I wouldn't be sure if pentane you vcan easily buy is actually pure n-pentane unless it is explicitly marketed as such and has it on a label. Usually when alphatic alkanes are used as solvents they can be and are mixtures, with certainbstraight component being major constituent, I think at least.

I also don't really know an easy and feasible way to produce n-pentanol. Few, bad, ideas (apart from chlorinating pentane), which are somewhat DOABLE with basic reagents and commonly available stuff include:
-produce a bunch of bad quality moonshine in suboptimal conditions, while distilling you will obtain fusel oil, which contains n-pentanol in some proportions. By fractional distillation you may obtain some n-pentanol.
-separate caproic acid from goat milk, by hydrolysis of fats in said milk, than perform Hundiecker reaction and substitute bromine for OH-. This requires the use of silver salts, liquid bromine, and some really hard to oxidise solvent like CCl4 so is not good.

Better idea is to use grignard reaction or a simmilar reaction, which is doable by ammateur. If you somehow manage to obtain butyl chloride/bromide/iodide from butyl alcohol, you may or may not be able to buy, you could react that with formaldehyde to make n-pentanol.
You could also react n-propyl halide with ethylene oxide via grignard.
You can also react n-ethyl halide derived grignard reagent with either oxetane/BF3 or acrolein/Cu(I) salt. First option gives just n-pentanol, second gives pentanal you would need to reduce via MPV reduction to pentanol.

Grignard reagents can certainly be made by amateurs, ethylene oxide or oxetane and BF3 are a different story. Dry formaldehyde and acrolein are possible to make in an amateur lab, but are dangerous. Not sure, how you could obtain n-propanol to make n-propyl halide either. Butanol could be easier obtained, but may also be unavailable.

Some aldol condensation or enol alkylation could produce a compound that is reducable to n-pentanol, but neither such reaction nor such reduction is feasible for an amateur. Although etanal with propanal could work a bit to produce pent-2-enal in about 50% yield, which could be reduced somehow to pentanol, not sure how. And still propanal would need to be made from n-propanol, which isn't the most available reagent.

[Edited on 6-7-2017 by MeshPL]

[Edited on 6-7-2017 by MeshPL]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 13:58

Nope. There is not. Alkanes can only react via free-radical chemistry, which isn't easy to control at all. Any process would probably involve oxidation in gas phase over a catalyst, giving a mixture of every possible pentane oxidation product, which would then have to be separated via distillation. There would be a lot of isomers with very similar boiling points, etc. You'd more or less need a chemical factory.

The common name for n-pentanol is "amyl alcohol" though, and "amyl" indicates it's derived from starch. Reason being, it's a product of grain fermentation, and is part of the crap that makes cheap liquor taste bad. Better liquor brands put more effort into separating it out. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but I figured I'd add that bit in anyway.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 6-7-2017 at 14:12

Quote: Originally posted by hippo  
Where I live (UK), it is very hard to find n-Pentanol but n-Pentane is a lot cheaper and easier to source.

Would you mind PM'ing me your source of n-Pentane please.........

Our member mario840 sells n-pentanol

"1-pentanol - 500ml - 15EUR 1000ml - 27EUR"
"New chemicals for sale !" - https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=63...

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health

Go To Top