Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mold in condenser water reservoir
BuzzKillerOfFire
Harmless
*




Posts: 5
Registered: 24-2-2017
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 06:25
Mold in condenser water reservoir


I have a small amatuer lab, and am using a 12v ebay diaphram pump and a home depot bucket for my condenser water. Today I noticed some cloudiness in my tubes, and think it might be mold. What would be a good way to solve this? (biocidal agents, etc. Ideally over the counter).
View user's profile View All Posts By User
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
11-7-2017 at 06:41
Fulmen
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1503
Registered: 24-9-2005
Member Is Offline

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 06:55


Basically anything toxic or corrosive to life. A bit of sodium hydroxide would probably work, but it can attack some polymers over time. Salt is also effective against most microbes, but it will be more corrosive to metals. Copper salts should work, it's a traditional agent for killing algae, tree roots and similar. Bleach is also highly effective.

But the first thing to do is to limit light exposure, this will limit the number of microbes that can survive.




We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
JJay
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3439
Registered: 15-10-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 09:19


It could easily be hard water residues; these can be dissolved in most acids (I usually use cleaning vinegar), but don't use sulfuric acid or they may become permanent. If it is mold, bleach works well.



View user's profile View All Posts By User
gdflp
Super Moderator
*******




Posts: 1320
Registered: 14-2-2014
Location: NY, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 10:18


A few crystals of copper sulfate works as a very effective biocide in a closed water loop. Not too corrosive, but effective at preventing bacterial growth. Small silver coils are also available relatively cheaply for this purpose in watercooled computers.



View user's profile View All Posts By User
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1566
Registered: 5-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 10:18


Old thread but clear tubing will go cloudy over time in contact with water sterile or not.

But I use clean water with some methanol in it, and all my tubing looks cloudy, take it off and let it dry perfectly clear again.

As said shock it with bleach let sit for a day then drain, refill with clean fresh water and add a tea spoon of copper sulfate to it, or if sealed methanol.
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top