Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Am I not allowed to own red phosphorous in the united states?
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2017 at 13:50
Am I not allowed to own red phosphorous in the united states?

I was reading the phosphorous synth post over on the general chemistry forum and at the end it claims that red P is not obtainable in the US without a DEA permit. I wasn't aware of this I only thought it was a lot tougher to get in the US because of all the meth cooks. I actually own quite a bit and I'm wondering if it is illegal to have?
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 14-7-2017 at 14:08

Elemental phosphorus is considered a suspicious chemical in the US, but isn't outright illegal in federal law. It is a DEA List 1 chemical, though. Check local and state laws. For example, possession of elemental phosphorus, as well as iodine and lithium by someone not working for a school or other legitimate institution is a misdemeanor in Oregon.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2017 at 14:39

U.S. law does not say it is illegal to own red phosphorus. The unlicensed sale, import, or manufacture is illegal. There is an exception for manufacture by a chemist in the course of professional work. I would say that a user who has several articles in the Prepublication section may manufacture phosphorus for use in his lab.

It is legal to buy phosphorus under the U.S. code if you can find someone in the U.S. willing to sell it to you. It is also legal in the U.S. to own any phosphorus that you have owned since before any laws against phosphorus were passed in any jurisdiction, even if these laws prohibit ownership.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
14-7-2017 at 15:57

Go To Top