Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: PUBLIC ADVISORY: Pictures
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 10:08
PUBLIC ADVISORY: Pictures

I am noticing an increase in excessively large pictures being posted within posts which distort the forum format as a consequence.

For the sake of that and for people on dialup, constrain your images to 800x600. Not knowing how to do that is no excuse and failure to comply will have your picture removed.

Thank you

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 15:29

-Instead of outright removing the pictures, just remove the [img]-ness so it gets hyperlinked (unless this is what you implied). That's what I do on forums I moderate.

Tim

[Edited on 1-27-2007 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 19:44

Well, less so the problem of dialup, but more so a problem of screen resolution.
This is because the attachment featured was reconfigured to display pictures inline. That's why they are suddenly all over the place, making threads almost unreadable unless one possesses a 3200x2000 pixels monitor or such.
I've already resized a number of images, and re-edited them back in. Post here for threads that contain super-sized images, and I (we?)'ll resize them.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 21:04

How does everyone else resize photos while retaining quality? I usually do it in paint, but I know some quality is sacrificed.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 21:22

Photoshop! Image>Image size; increase the resolution (from std. say, 72 to ~150 pixels/inch) then resize the image. This prevents the loss of too many pixels during the resizing process. Care must be taken that you do not produce the world's first 20M postage stamp:D.

Oh yes, when saving .jpg always select highest (12) quality (the tiny bubbles or sparks might be really important on this forum).

Hope that helps,

O3

[Edited on 28-1-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 22:38

I don't know if my images are of high quality or not but this is how I now handle my pictures: I upload from the camera into my limited features version of Paint Shop. Then I move it to Microsoft's "Picture It" for resizing and saving.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 27-1-2007 at 23:17

I use L-View Pro, a really old version, for my image editing. I rarely have to do anything beyond crop, resize, gamma, contrast, color balance and filtering (sharpen/blur/etc.), so it's quite sufficient. It's old so there's little overhead and it's easy to use.

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 03:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Oh yes, when saving .jpg always select highest (12) quality (the tiny bubbles or sparks might be really important on this forum).

There is rarely need to save with highest quality. Something like 80% of maximum possible is usually best choice because higher quality gives very little additional sharpnes but makes files much slower to download/upload. In Photoshop use "Sharpen" after resizing to get all small details visible.

There is lot of software available for resizing or croping images (croping is also very usefull because usally most of picture area does not contain anything important or interesting).

After very short search i found one piece of freeware that can be used to convert pics to smaller sizes. I tested it and it works. If you install it, it places option "Photo gadget picture resize" to your right click menu on Windows Explorer. It's very easy to use and there is probably a lot of similar freeware available.

[Edited on 28-1-2007 by chromium]

Attachment: download-photogadget11.exe.exe (355kB)
This file has been downloaded 1791 times

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 11:54

Quote:

-Instead of outright removing the pictures, just remove the [img]-ness so it gets hyperlinked (unless this is what you implied). That's what I do on forums I moderate.

1) I am lazy.
2) I have a life outside this forum.
3) I enjoy deleting stuff.
4) It's just a matter of decency. I am not the personal babysit and trainer of every forum user. If you don't know how to properly use a PC, stay the fuck away from it or LEARN.
5) Some images are posted as attachments and thus can only be removed to "cure" the issue.

[Edited on 28-1-2007 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 14:11

[Something like 80% of maximum possible is usually best choice because higher quality gives very little additional sharpnes but makes files much slower to download/upload. In Photoshop use "Sharpen" after resizing to get all small details visible.

Yes, but, once I have reduced an image size from say, 27" to 6-7" (constrained ratio), I don't want it to drop pixels on compression. At 80%, it will probably be difficult to tell unless you really zoom the pic. Sometimes "sharpen" as a quick fix filter works, but I find that it has a tendency to pixelate interfaces where highly contrasted regions collide.

$0.02 worth,

O3

--Albert Einstein
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 20:18

Hmm, eight backspace keypresses isn't enough huh. Who here would've thought I would be a better moderator than the renouned vulture.

Tim

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 13:10

I know I'm guilty of this; I'll sort it out sometime soon. I've been meaning to get them off of image shack anyways and upload them onto SMDB, (I'll need chemoleo's help on that one :) )

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 15:02

Quote:

Hmm, eight backspace keypresses isn't enough huh. Who here would've thought I would be a better moderator than the renouned vulture.

Ofcourse you're a better moderator. That's because I'm not a moderator. I'm an administrator.

In other words: Nice try baiting the vulture smartass.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:13

I repeat again, if there are pictures that are too large, and you personally cannot edit your post containing them anymore, then post the thread ID/link here, and I and/or others will edit them.
This is a problem that's been bugging me too, and I am willing to put the time in to sort it out.

For the future, I think it goes without saying that images should be at most 800x600 pixels if attached or displayed inline. To show high res images, post the html link instead of encapsulating it in HTML tags (i.e. without [ img] [ /img]), and that will too work with images located on the SMDB FTP server.

Yes, Magpie, I'll get cracking on your remaining pictures now.
And Fleaker, do upload here locally (or everyone else concerned). Imageshack doesn't keep the images forever, and it is most annoying to see an old thread that used to have beautiful pictures to see them replaced by some 404 error.

To find instructions for local pic upload (SMDB ftp), go here:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=603

Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:31

Thank you for you hard work, Chemoleo!

I'm putting up a site soon (where my pics will stay, probably until either I die, or forget to pay the bill....death it is), and I'll host from there (but, until then, 800 X 600 it is).

Best,

O3

[Edited on 30-1-2007 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:35

Dear SMDB denizens,

USE PHOTOBUCKET.
It's not the best website in the world, but you can upload lots and lots of stuff for free, sort it into albums, and best of all you choose the size you want, both dimensions and file size, when you upload anything. And, you can upload lots of pictures at the same time. Not perfect nor super professional, but easy and hassle-free. Word.

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:38

Dear everyone,

please do not.
Why?
because these sites do NOT keep the pictures forever.
Old threads will lose their worth if the pictures are gone!
So please, use the facilities provided!

Iamthewaffler - please, think about it!

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:54

Where are the pictures posted as attachments stored?

I admit I am guilty of a few thread stretches since the software change causing attachemnts to be displayed inline. Old ones of mine did this. If anyone finds any of these let me know.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 19:34

They are stored locally too, as part of the forum software, as far as I can tell. This is because the forum backup provided neat attachemnt downloads for any type of attachments. It'd also make little sense to store them completely outside the webhoster service. But Polv will know for sure.

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 20:06

Yes, attachments are stored as part of the database, so they get backed up whenever I download a DB copy.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:27

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Dear everyone,

please do not.
Why?
because these sites do NOT keep the pictures forever.
Old threads will lose their worth if the pictures are gone!
So please, use the facilities provided!

Iamthewaffler - please, think about it!

I guess not forever, but pictures that I uploaded more than FOUR YEARS ago are still sitting on my photobucket because I don't care enough to remove them. That's just about as old as SM, no?
You say 'these sites' like you know them all. I agree that hosts in general are temporary, but if people haven't appreciated (and downloaded if they are interested) these images in several years...I don't know what you're expecting.

I was just posting it as a recommendation for people who don't know how to do the most basic operations on ANY graphics editing program. And honestly, if you can't figure out how to resize a goddamn jpeg, then your images probably aren't worth anyone's time anyways.

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
cyberzed
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 11:53

A good tool i have used over the years to make high resolution foto's in to small 800x600 picture is "picture resizer"
I is a small executable which u can put on your desktop or where it fits u best.
There you have it, resizing has become just a glitch, just drag a high resolution picture on it and it will be resized by the executable to a 800x600 format with suprisingly little quality loss, ready to upload to your favorite website ....

you can download the picture resizer here:

http://www.kapaza.be/PhotoResize800.exe
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:14

Type irfanview in google search engine.
Download irfanview [its free]
End discussion

It may not be as versatile as the other programs but it does an excellent job of resizing and what not...
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 15:05
Resizing Pictures and Image Editing How To

For Windows XP this is as easy as it can possibly be , install Windows Image Resize Power Toy
right click any number of pictures of mixed format , select "Resize Pictures" from the right click
menu and in the following dialog box assign the desired size to all. 640 X 480 , 800 X 600 and
1024 X 768 are standard choices or choose advanced to enter some other as you would with
MS-Paint. A resized exact copy is produced inside the same folder along with the original. The
sizes given are just frameworks into which the largest dimension of your original will be fitted.
To easily obtain a closer fit to a standard size first rotate 90° with MS Picture and Fax viewer.
then rotate the copy made back upright 90°. Find it here listed on the right side column _
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppow...
Direct download here _
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WX...

Already mentioned above Irfanview is an image viewer and editor that can resize as well as
alter color, contrast, brightness, and gamma. If you scan pictures slightly off square you can
rotate the image by one degree increments as well as sharpen the text if its blurry or of any
photo. Select " Image " from the tool bar then " Image " > " Effects Browser " > then select
" Sharpen " from the list to correct blurriness by adjusting the numerical amount which is then
default menu option. Your original remains untouched and you can re-open it from " File " to
scrap all changes made. It also removes red-eye from snapshots and serves as a rudimentary
video player. See the bottom of the FAQ's page for tutorials. http://www.irfanview.com

Paint.NET is another level above in sophistication, the latest version 3.05 just now available.
I still have version 2.5 and I have yet to use it since I installed it. Also requires MS NET 2.0 to be
installed to function, get that here _ http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
Paint.Net home page http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
download Paint.Net here _ http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

The ultimate feature rich image editor that in many ways approximates Photoshop and also
other animation rendering software is GIMP Get this if you missed your calling as a
graphic artist. Available here _ http://www.gimp.org _ and here _ http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net
See installation requiremenets _ http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/faq.html

An application I have found useful is AbsoluteDeNoiser , this removes with digital filtering
the " graininess " and noise sometimes present in pictures. After processing ( and the default
settings are perfectly fine in many instances ) the cleaned image can only be saved in *png
format which is equal to *.bmp, so you will need MS-Paint at least to convert this to a *jpg
I must say the interface is a pain to use since only one picture can be accessed at a time
from a " Browse " menu and the program has to be closed to begin again. But like all the
software I reviewed here its free and Photoshop can do no better. http://AbsoluteDeNoiser.free.fr

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 00:05

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Well, less so the problem of dialup, but more so a problem of screen resolution.
This is because the attachment featured was reconfigured to display pictures inline. That's why they are suddenly all over the place, making threads almost unreadable unless one possesses a 3200x2000 pixels monitor or such.
I've already resized a number of images, and re-edited them back in. Post here for threads that contain super-sized images, and I (we?)'ll resize them.

Okay here's one that's 1500 pixels wide ....
3 times the 500 pixels it should be . 500 pixels wide
is where it will have to be limited to not interfere with the
existing frames for text .

https://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=325&a...

Some folks were asking about image editing software .
Adobe photoshop is what I have and it works good ,
does just about anything . Mine came free with a
hard drive I got some years ago , an actual legal
freebie CD "limited edition" ...no idea what the retail
stuff costs .

[Edited on 28-4-2007 by Rosco Bodine]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top