Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gun cotton sucess
curiosity_cat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 20:24
Gun cotton sucess

2nd attempt and nice clean little orange poof balls. First time I was I was impatient and used some cotton from a tee shirt instead of cotton balls and only waited maybe an hour before rinsing , I guess I learned from failure. Expensive little poof balls using the typical YouTube method and keeping it cool for a day but very interesting.

That same kind of "I got this" like when I got the Tesla coil to resonate using 1800s instructions back in the day.

This is what I ultimately want to pull off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLshnfu0wY (singing Tesla coil)

Tesla coil in real life IMO is as impressive as energetic materials , I encourage you guys and girls to make one, the best video on YouTube is nothing like seeing it in real life.

I took precautions doing the nitrocellulose cotton ball thing safety glasses and and water hose ready to go nearby but even though this is a beginner experiment what mistakes can make thing go wrong and get people hurt ?

[Edited on 28-7-2017 by curiosity_cat]
curiosity_cat
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 20:43

Also when I mixed the KNO3 stump stuff with the H2SO4 there was some clumps that did not dissolve into it, so I added some more H2SO4 and those clumps remained so my guess is its not 100% KNO3.
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 00:12

Quote: Originally posted by curiosity_cat  
Also when I mixed the KNO3 stump stuff with the H2SO4 there was some clumps that did not dissolve into it, so I added some more H2SO4 and those clumps remained so my guess is its not 100% KNO3.

Or it did dissolve and made a thick paste of potassium sulfates. Adding more sulfuric will help the nitration mix by becoming more fluid.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 00:26

Making use of NaNO3 or NH4NO3 and HNO3(69%) will help solubilize all mineral materials, improve mixing, reduce viscosity (what is high at low temperature) and hence increase heat dissipation ==> lower risk of hot spots and runnaway.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 13-8-2017 at 13:07

I'm not sure what your post-nitration procedure is, but be careful when drying. It's autoignition temperature is only 170 °C, which is surprisingly easy to get to when you leave it on a hot plate for an hour and do something else in the meantime. As some of you may know, I do a demonstration on chemistry for a local elementary school every year, and I thought nitrocellulose would be fun to show, but I unfortunately did exactly what I described above (this was in the lab however). I walked away for a moment to look something up, and saw the room turn orange as around 10 grams of nitrocellulose (nitrated cotton by the way) flashed and burned completely, which moved a couple of ceiling tiles a bit. I lost it all, but hey, no residue!

Also, neutralizing the cotton after nitration is a good idea, it greatly increases burn rate. If you don't have a pH probe, use sodium bicarbonate or an indicator. Just be cautious, as I got some pretty strong NO2 evolution.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A

Go To Top