Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cobalt metal from cobalt chloride?
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 15:32
Cobalt metal from cobalt chloride?

I'm going to try and make some cobalt metal from cobalt chloride (which is sold at a local school supply company). I see 2 ways of doing it: single displacement and thermite. I found a video where someone reacted aluminium and cobalt metal to form a powder(not sure if it would actually work or not), although since honestly I don't want powders, it is going to be hard to melt. As for thermite cobalt chloride can be turned into the oxide(cobalt(III) oxide) quite easily but since Co2O3 is apparently an oxidizer, the reaction might be too violent.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 19:18

Over 50 years ago in the basement I made some basic cobalt carbonate (cobalt chloride + sodium carbonate), dried it well, mixed it with powdered charcoal and heated the living daylights out of the mixture in a crucible using a Fisher burner. After cooling I crushed up the residue and extracted the metallic cobalt with a magnet as cobalt is magnetic. I recall that cobalt was the bulk of the residue.

AvB
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 19:54

I think you can dissolve it in methanol and reduce it with zinc, which is very available if you're willing to commit the minor crime of defacing pennies. But that's just an educated guess pretty much.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 21:15

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
I think you can dissolve it in methanol and reduce it with zinc, which is very available if you're willing to commit the minor crime of defacing pennies. But that's just an educated guess pretty much.

I suspect aluminum will work better than zinc......as another educated guess.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-7-2017 at 22:02

Zinc metal is cheaply available I think it costs around 3-4 dollars for a pack of strips.
Although I would prefer nuggets of cobalt.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 00:17

Well, by that logic, aluminum is free(practically everywhere), comes in shapes other than strips and quite possibly works better(see DraconicAcid's comment above).

Why not try to plate it out of sol? Nice low mA at appropriate voltage could make for nice dense formation. Try a touch of sulfamic acid to see if that rounds it out more. From some of my previous reading chloride baths usually make for high strain deposits.

Right away, nope... "Cobalt plated out of a sulfamate bath is brittle and pitted, even with typical surface tension agents" https://www.finishing.com/204/83.shtml love that site, lots of good stuff. But in some other parts of the link, high chloride, sulfate bathes do ok for Co. So you may be in luck with your starting material.

Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2017 at 15:33

Is the thermite viable?

Go To Top