Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can someone with an Ika RCT or RET hotplate help me out?
Photonic
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 18:33
Can someone with an Ika RCT or RET hotplate help me out?

My hotplate just blew up due to a power surge, and I need someone with an Ika RCT or RET hotplate to give me a hand.

Specifically, I need someone to give me the component numbers on top of the component in the attached picture. The numbers have been completely burned off of mine, and I don't want to put in a wildly different value.

If you're on the fence about opening up the unit I will be happy to give you a visual graphical disassembly guide so that you make sure to not damage anything.

I have already confirmed that this is the problem with this particular unit and have verified it works by bypassing the power with my bench supply.

Ika_Board.jpg - 118kB
RegularOldGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 22:26

You are in luck, I had one already opened on my desk several feet away!
Its a 240 Ohm resistor (2400)
Photonic
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 22:43

Quote: Originally posted by RegularOldGuy  
You are in luck, I had one already opened on my desk several feet away!
Its a 240 Ohm resistor (2400)

Thank you very much! Please do let me know if you need any measurements taken from a working model for any repair work. I will be ordering some parts for this unit and hope to get it up and going ASAP!

This unit had Er-46, and Er-25 I believe it was. Turned out to be a failed zener diode which caused the voltage regulator and the resistor to blow. It also had some issues with knobs and such as well but that is another story.

Again, please let me know if I can return the favor, and thank you for your time!

[Edited on 31-7-2017 by Photonic]
RegularOldGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2017 at 23:30

Not a problem, IKA is pretty good about carrying parts. Once you have it working, these things are workhorses, all of mine are 2nd hand repair jobs (one came w/ a burned out heating element, $30 later up and running...)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-7-2017 at 16:45

Are you guys in the US or Europe? I have a broken one or two IKAs that I would like to either get fixed, sell, or barter for other stuff. Just don't have the knowledge, time or tools to do much testing.
Photonic
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-7-2017 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Are you guys in the US or Europe? I have a broken one or two IKAs that I would like to either get fixed, sell, or barter for other stuff. Just don't have the knowledge, time or tools to do much testing.

Hey Dr. Bob! I am in the US and would be quite interested in seeing what you have! Happen to have pictures, or models and what the issue is?
adk
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 03:38

My last three IKA hotplates have died, components and other failures not related to misuse. Unfortunately not cheap caps or resistors, ICs and issues with trace lifting. IKA's local distributor was completely hopeless for supplying parts, and IKA just referred me to the Malaysia office who prefer that I buy new units at a very heavily discounted rate. No thanks

I have one left; the oldest - a RCT purchased second hand from eBay Germany about 5 years ago and still running perfectly. The new units are unfortunately no longer made in Germany, despite the label.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with IKA of late? Three $1500 hotplates in 2 years is not a great vibe.

I have just changed to Heidolph; actually made in Germany and superior build quality. Fantastic local distributor as well (www.scitek.com.au) which is often more important than the manufacturer.

https://www.argentscientific.com/
sales@argentscientific.com

Go To Top