Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finally a way to have Non Stick Gallium
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

shocked.gif posted on 2-8-2017 at 00:46
Finally a way to have Non Stick Gallium

So gallium is known to be messy it sticks to everything and turns dull mercury how every dows not have this problem but at the same time it is toxic. Many thing gallium can replace mercury do to it being a liquid metal. Now the next test would be if this is added can it still alloy what are its chemical properties as it resists oxidation researchers have figured out how to keep this from happening
using Teflon

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-created-liquid-...

To ensure that the surface wasn't oxidised and the droplet remained non-stick, the scientists used a material that is as at home in the kitchen as it is in the laboratory - Teflon, or PTFE.

They then created liquid metal droplets by using a simple three-step process:

First, a metal droplet was created by pushing 8 microlitres of metal alloy out of a syringe, and then dunking it in sodium hydroxide for 3 seconds. The sodium hydroxide treatment made sure that the droplets retained their spherical shape.

The droplets were then rolled in with tiny particles of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE or Teflon), which stuck to the surface. The result is the first non-stick, ultra-elastic liquid metal droplets ever produced.

Finally, to test the robustness of their new creation, the scientists dropped the Teflon coated droplets onto a surface and watched to see what happened. The droplets bounced up and down up nine times ,whereas the non-coated metal droplets stuck to the surface immediately on contact.
"Its elasticity goes beyond tennis and steel balls," says Zhou.

This new technique solves this problem by retaining a spherical shape, and the droplets can roll on a surface at an angle of 2 degrees without getting stuck

[Edited on 2-8-2017 by symboom]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 05:11

This doesn't actually appear to solve any problems. Now your metal particles are nonconductive. Why did you need it to be metal in the first place, anyway? I guess that's what science is for though, discovering interesting things with no practical uses, then engineering comes along and finds ways to make them practical.

I've made something similar though, by adding soap to isopropanol, with some liquid gallium alloy, then shaking it up. Of course, that only worked so long as they were submersed.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 06:39

Quote: I guess that's what science is for though, discovering interesting things with no practical uses.

Not always such as my making paraformaldehyde from methanol and oxone testing oxidizing capabilities and I did not have a use for it but someone saw it and it helped someone else who had a use for it.

Also that is interesting soap and isopropyl alcohol

Also does gallium alloy with copper or silver
Maybe a non oxidizing alloy
The reason gallium wets many materials is because of its oxide layer

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 8-8-2017 at 20:15

Palladium chloride will be reduced by gallium and form a mirror-like layer on its surface. This makes it less reactive, and it tarnishes less easily. It's not permanent by any means though, and I haven't had much luck coming up with a use for this phenomenon.

Gallium has a strong tendency to penetrate the grain boundaries in metals, making them more brittle. It only alloys with most metals at low concentrations though. I don't think it would dissolve silver or gold.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2017 at 17:13

Interesting silver nitrate and gallium may form a silver surface on gallium

[Edited on 10-8-2017 by symboom]

Go To Top