Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Powerful microwave oven
Dann
Harmless

Mood: Mad as a HATTER

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 19:31
Powerful microwave oven

Hello,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a powerful microwave oven.
Would it be possible to combine the active internals from sereral ovens into one oven in order to increase the power.

I would be inclined to thing that the magnetrons would interact in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways (but not very useful ways).
Perhaps a large steel cavity with sereral magnetrons is what I need. Commercial overs are probable available at a price but I am too stingy to purchase.

All pointers or blueprints!:D apprecieated.

Dann
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 19:44

Best of luck fabricating wave-guides and supplying the power you desire. The general microwave oven transformer (MOT) will supply 2500V at ~ 0.5A. To work the whole thing will need to be in phase (or your dipoles will be cancelling), so the voltage will still be around 2500V, but the I will need to go up commensurately.

If you try this (and I highly recommend not doing this) be 'ware of how very easy it is to die with up to, let's see, art least 3A at a 2500V potential.

Nevermind the RF burns (or outright arcs) you might get if the thing is leaking...

Electrifying,

O3

[Edited on 30-1-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 20:14

i mentioned my opinion on this elsewhere...and people may say hey nonnie nonnie, but

for off the cuff MORE(Microwave Oven Reaction Enhanced)

sharp 1200 watt will heat up.....

why sharp? well why honda or why subaru..... versus a kia

i also have microwave wave guides laying around...they are little rectangle channels
( unsure of the measure )

waves can cancel, and electronics are an enigma to me at a certain point but fixed amplitude wave boxes are being used for advanced MORE

potentially giving precise control over reactions.

if this were a musical id brake into a song about microwaves now.....
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:27

From my observations, the reactions are not simply enhanced--they seem to follow a totally different mechanism (at least those that are not *totally* either thermodynamic or photochemical, and they are few). Not only do the yields vary, but the products do to. I have seen "microwave assisted" reactions trigger exotherms at 80°C that you do not normally see at 120 (or higher) °C.

This is a relatively fresh topic, Chemistry-wise, and should be considered as such. At this time, much of the information available is empirical (we do not understand the intricacies to the point where we can make all-emcompassing models). Perhaps advanced stat-mech (and "crack") can fix this?

you tell me,

O3

Funny as hell! (your analogy! I don't know about Subaru, but I am pridefull (bad, I know) when I say that my Honda has 220,000 mi on it and purrs like a kitten!):D

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 16:48
altering a microwave oven

I was wondering if one could cut a whole in the top of a microwave to accomdate a condenser. And if it worked, would the mw throw radiation all over hell and gone? Would that screw up cell phones and heart stimulators?
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 12:10

Yes you can as long as the hole is less then 6cm in diameter and then the leaking of radiation is marginal.

Keep in mind that even a microwave running at full power with an open door is not dangerous to your health if you keep 1m distance.

Most dangerous are actually botched attempts to "seal" leaks resulting in slit attennas or something similar multiplying the effective radiation in certain spots.

[Edited on 4-2-2007 by Organikum]

Irgendwas is ja immer
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 14:54

You can also put a choke ring around the hole where your glassware enters. This would be a large thick ring of graphite, or similar microwave absorber. Come to think of it - a cylinder of water would work, as long as the water wall thickness is 2cm or more. Cool water could be continuously fed in, so your absorber doesn't boil away.

[Edited on 4-2-2007 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top