Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proposed sodium cyanoborohydride synthesis
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 27-8-2017 at 06:17
Proposed sodium cyanoborohydride synthesis

First of all, I'm proposing to produce it in an ethanol solution, which would presumably be used immediately. This could probably also work in THF or ether with modifications.

1) Put ethanol in the freezer. My roommate would normally freak out if he saw chemicals in the freezer, but practically everyone keeps vodka there.

2) Prepare stoichiometric amounts of NaBH4 and NaCN. (Probably a slight excess of NaBH4) Also prepare 50/50 mixture of ethanol and 85% phosphoric acid.

3) Get cold ethanol out of the freezer, and add it to a flask that can be quickly sealed if needed. Dissolve the NaCN in the ethanol.

4) Carefully, with good ventilation, add the phosphoric acid to the NaCN solution dropwise. Do not let the ethanol get warm, and use an ice bath if needed. Watch for precipitate formation, as sodium phosphate salts form, which are insoluble in ethanol. Phenolphthalein indicator might also be helpful, since NaCN is a strong base.

5) When solution pH begins to approach neutral, remove the precipitate somehow, exposing it to air as little as possible. Once this is done, it should then be possible to add the NaBH4 to the HCN solution.

My main concern is if there would be a problem with using ethanol, and how well the reaction would occur in this solvent. I'd imagine methanol could be used if ethanol could, but I had an easier time finding the appropriate data for ethanol.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2017 at 09:28

I'm fairly adventurous as a home chemist, but I draw the line at (or somewhere before ) HCN in the home.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 27-8-2017 at 09:41

There must be a way to avoid HCN production
There is a procedure using borane gas and sodium cyanide
The reagent is invariably purchased, although it can be prepared easily. One method involves combining sodium cyanide and borane.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_cyanoborohydride

The HCN requires high pressure.
https://erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/index.html
I know its a drug synth site but it have the pdf of synthesis of
Sodium cyanoborohydride a useful reducing agent
Looks like THF is the solvent used

You already have sodium borohydride
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJRFXI4R70
Sulfuric acid and sodium borohydride forms borane

It interesting you just add acid to the sodium borohydride instead of the sodium cyanide to form the product and work with borane gas instead

Side note borane reacts with sodium amalgam to form sodium borohydride

[Edited on 27-8-2017 by symboom]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 30-8-2017 at 14:41

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
I'm fairly adventurous as a home chemist, but I draw the line at (or somewhere before ) HCN in the home.

HCN in a cold ethanol solution would have a low vapor pressure, which could be eliminated just by using a tight-sealing flask. In any case, this reaction would ideally be done outside, since HCN is lighter than air, and most people can smell it at levels far below lethal. Every HCN poisoning I've heard of has been indoors, too, and I agree that unless quantities are extremely small, HCN should NOT be in the home. Outside, though, the risks are greatly reduced.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top