Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chromium(III) oxide from K2Cr2O7
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 15:54
Chromium(III) oxide from K2Cr2O7

I need some Cr2O3 for a thermite reaction however I only have some potassium dichromate. According to wikipedia it can be reduced with sulfur. Although I'm not sure how messy it would be.

[Edited on 3-9-2017 by Foeskes]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 16:04

It can be reduced with just about anything. I commonly convert waste Cr(VI) to Cr(III) for storage and later recovery. I use whatever is at hand: often ethanol or pieces of zinc. You can then precipitate out the Cr(III) by adjusting the pH. Roasting will give you the oxide.
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 01:32

Is there a way to tell if it's completely reduced since the green solution is super dark? Anyways does ethanol take a long time?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 03:01

I always use a bit of excess and of couse keep it acidic as well as giving it some time.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 18:17

Ethanol generally does take a long time to react with dichromate unless it's acidic.

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 19:21

Sodium dithionite (Na2S2O4) is my favorite because you can immediately see the color change from hexavalent to trivalent chromium. The insoluble chromium(III) hydroxide can be filtered out. I'm pretty sure anything that can reduce works, but sodium dithionite works the fastest IMO.

[Edited on 9-5-2017 by ninhydric1]
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 15:06

Does chromic acid actally oxidize glucose and other organic reducing agents(ascorbic acid) to CO2 and water?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 00:30

Dithionite is a fast reductor, but not very clean. It gives decomposition products, which may lead to contamination with solid finely divided sulphur.

A better reductor is sodium sulfite, acidified. It acts instantaneously on dichromate at low pH. You get a dark green solution.

Procedure:
- Compute stoichiometric amounts of potassium dichromate, sulphuric acid and sodium sulfite.
- Take appr. 1.25 times the stoichiometric amount of acid and dilute with water so you get 10% acid or so.
- Dissolve potassium dichromate in the dilute acid.
- Take appr. 1.1 times the stoichiometric amount of sodium sulfite and dissolve in water.
- Carefully mix the solutions. The final solution will have a smell of sulphur dioxide.
- Boil for a while. This drives off sulphur dioxide.

Allow solution to stand for several weeks. The color shifts from green to ark blue/grey. This period allows the green sulfato-complex of chromium(III) to decompose.
You may skip this period of a few weeks and use the green solution as is, but it will lead to less pure Cr2O3 in the next phase. The material then will contain some residual sulfate which is bound strongly to the chromium ions. For thermite this probably is not a real issue, but I want to mention it anyway.

Add excess ammonia to the green (or grey/blue) solution. A lot of precipitate is formed. This is Cr(OH)3 and if the solution is not allowed to stand for some weeks, then it will also contain some Cr(SO4)(OH).

Filter the solid material.
Heat the solid material to a few hundred degrees. It will lose nearly all water and become Cr2O3. If it contains some sulfate, then it will be mainly Cr2O3, but some oxygen ions will be sulfate ions instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want the long waiting period, then use dilute nitric acid and ethanol as reductors. You get a bluish/grey solution right away and then you can add ammonia to that. Sulfate ions lead to the formation of green solution. Chloride is even worse and will never be removed. You then get a mixed chloride/oxide material on addition of ammonia.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 02:24

So is the reduction using sulfur a viable way?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 09:41

I would not do that. The reaction is very incomplete and certainly does not work smoothly. Just try it. Mix a little sulphur with K2Cr2O7 and heat the mix. You just get some smouldering and if heating strongly enough the sulphur may burn. Compare this with mixes of sulphur with e.g. KNO3, KClO3 or KMnO4. You'll see a huge difference.
The reaction does work, but you'll have a lot of work separating the solid Cr2O3 formed in the melt, mixed with unreacted sulphur and other partially soluble solid materials.

I think that with alkali dichromate salts the only way to Cr2O3 is aqueous reduction to chromium(III) and then precipitating with ammonia (not with NaOH or KOH, because a small excess will cause your chromium(III) to go in solution as chromite).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 18:44

I did the sulfur method and got 20g (theoretical: 25g), I boiled out most of the sulfur. And removed most of the sulfate. Anyways it should be good for thermite.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 09:09

Schlessinger:

7. Chromium (III) Oxide

(I)

K2Cr2O7 + 2NH4Cl -> Cr2O3 + 2KCl + N2 + 4H2O

Thirty-seven grams of potassium dichromate are mixed intimately with an equal weight of ammonium chloride in a clay crucible and heated with slowly rising temperature over a Bunsen flame in the hood until no more vapors are given off. The contents are cooled and powdered. The material is washed by decantation with successive portions of boiling water until no more test for chloride is obtained, then filtered and dried for several hours at 105°-120°C. The filter cake is reground and dried again overnight. The product is a loose green powder which is not attacked by acids or alkalies, especially after ignition.

Yield almost theoretical.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top