Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap gold trichloride
Lotilko
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:12
Cheap gold trichloride

As most of us know, China is a cheap source of materials including electronics, chemicals and the like. I was browsing on alibaba and I found gold trichloride for a rather low price: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gold-chloride-13453-0...

20-100 dollars for a kilo is a little cheap in my opinion given how expensive gold is. Also I think the supplier didn't bother to upload a proper picture, as it looks more like chloroauric acid and AuCl3 is more orange. Said supplier has similar reagents for the same price. I don't know where the catch is, but for the above reasons it seems suspicious to me. I am thinking of ordering some, but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

Thanks in andvance!

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:26

I would say that's a fairly obvious scam. Gold chloride is roughly 70% Au by mass, at the high end of $100/kg they would be charging $100 for 700g of gold. At spot price, that's over $30,000 of gold. My first thought was an erroneous listing that was supposed to read $20-$100/g, but even the low end of that range is below spot.

I'm not quite sure what the benefit to the company is since most payment methods are pretty good about chargebacks AFAIK; but perhaps they're relying on the few which aren't. If they do end up shipping a product to you, it will almost certainly not be gold chloride. And if they do ship you gold chloride, it won't be the agreed quantity.

TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:28

It says that you could request a free sample. Couldn't hurt to request a sample if it's free. Even one gram of chloroauric acid could be useful I guess.

[Edited on 8-9-2017 by TheNerdyFarmer]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:31

Yeah that deal is just insane.

It's like finding a guy who says he's selling $100 bills for 75 cents each.

MUST be a misprint, because that's too crazy to even make a good scam.
Lotilko
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 12:51

Thanks for all the insight! It's good to see helping people around. I guess I'll request a free sample and see what they send.

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 15:12

Lots have ads on Alibaba apparently are generic as they have the same price range. You have to get a quote for the actual price for the quantity you are going to buy. Ask for a quote and see what price they offer you.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 15:16

Yes, Chinese companies are notorious for listing items for sale that they 1) don't have, 2) are listed for lower prices than real, and 3) often cannot even make or obtain. They just hope to get your money for a while, and make it hard to get it back. Like email scammers and such, if they just get lucky a few times, they make a lot more than actually doing real work.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 00:17

If it sounds too good to be true, then usually it isn't true!

This cannot be real. It is described as a catalyst. It might be some material like aluminium oxide, which has a small fraction of gold chloride added to it (e.g. soaked with a solution of this and then dried). Many catalysts are like that, such as Pd on carbon, with just a small fraction of Pd in the mix. I myself have some RuO2 catalyst on carbon and I know of many catalysts, based on expensive metals like rhodium on ceramics. Probably this also is something like that. It could explain the light yellow/amber color of the powder. Even 0.1% already can give a strong yellowish color to a white powder of e.g. Al2O3.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2017 at 01:19

An other good looking deal.

Diphenylmethanimine Cas No: 1013-88-3
Min.Order: 0 FOB Price: USD $ 0.0-0.0

Shanghai Run-Biotech Co., Ltd is a leading domestic pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, and health care products R & D outsourcing services company.

Unfortunately like the gold chloride ad that is not the real price. Its just an other daft generic ad from China.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 14-9-2017 at 17:32

Same with RuO2 I saw for 5-100$/kg... That's ~75% Ru content ..... And not true. But when you see the price, always ask. In reality smallest sample would be 10g delivered to my door for 180$, a far cry from the offer.

Go To Top