Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amide Reaction with Benzene Derivative?
DionSukhram6
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2017 at 19:38
Amide Reaction with Benzene Derivative?

So I've been trying to come up with a process to make Marfey's Reagent from simple chemicals but I'm stuck on the last few steps. I would react L-alanine with ammonium Carbonate then dehydrate it but the product of this is neutral, while a search for L-alanine amide says that it should be positively charged and have one more hydrogen than what I see from my reaction. Then, I would react this with 1-fluoro-2,4-dinitrobenzene and, as far as I know, it should be able to substitute with a hydrogen on the benzene ring, since it's positively charged, giving the desired product, but I can't figure out what the other reaction product would be (maybe it's just because I haven't been doing organic Chem for very long)

Can somebody help clarify this please?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 00:00

The problem I can see is that the fluorine in a 2,4-dinitrofluorobenzene derivative will be fairly reactive so you my need to think about how introduce the amino-amide group without reacting with the fluorine. You may need to start the other way round and introduce the nitro groups after you have added the 2-aminopropanamide unit. Perhaps start with 3-fluoroaniline and react it with lactamide (2-hydroxypropanamide) or 2-chloropropanamide. The latter can be prepared from methyl 2-chloropropanoate ester by controlled ammoniolysis.

I think you to check out the original synthesis. For this you will need to look at the original paper:
P. Marfey, Carlsberg Res. Commun., 49 (1984) 591.

This article is freely available online from the Springer website and described the synthesis in outlined from 1,5-difluoro-2,4-dinitrobenzene and the appropriate amide. You will now have to find out how to prepare the individual components.

Attachment: Marfey 1984.pdf (373kB)
This file has been downloaded 288 times

[Edited on 17-9-2017 by Boffis]

Go To Top