Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How dangerous is potassium ferricyanide?
e.liska
Harmless

Mood: Harmless

[*] posted on 14-9-2017 at 23:33
How dangerous is potassium ferricyanide?

I got some potassium ferricynide. How dangerous it is regarding its toxicity? Acorring to the warnings on the botle, it is not toxic by itself, but releases toxic gases (HCN) when combined with acids. But there are acids in the human stomach. So what would happen if ingested? Or are the acids in the stomach too weak to release HCN?
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2017 at 00:09

The ferricyanide can rarely occuring poisonous effect compare with ferrocyanide. Latter react not with diluted acids in cold condition. The stomach liquid contains appr 0,05% HCl and in extreme case can releasing HCN. (Extreme case means: eating a lot ferricyanide and the stomach acidity (pH=1)enormous high.)
woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-9-2017 at 04:43

Potassium ferricyanide is marginally toxic. The cyanide ions are very tightly bound to the iron core of this ion and are not easily set free. You need rough circumstances to release a lot of cyanide from this compound. Dilute acids (a few percent of acid) hardly release any HCN.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2017 at 05:35

My answer was citation of common literature, not opinion. I can also hard believe the poisonous property this one. But you know, every chemical coumponds are poisonous, it depends of dosis and circumstancies.

If you drink one day 10 liter drinking water you can die. If you eating too much NaCl you can also to exit.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 18:33

It's dangerous if you dropped it into a hot solution of a strong mineral acid, since that would release cyanide gas, but that's really the only thing that would liberate HCN from the iron that it's bound to, fast enough to be lethal.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top