Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Radium extraction from watch hands
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 05:21
Radium extraction from watch hands


I was considering extracting the radium sulphate from watch hands, by dissolving the radium sulphate in sulphuric acid (I'm modelling it on barium sulphate), then recovering it. I've built a glovebox especially for the purpose. What do people think of this?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
unionised
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3174
Registered: 1-11-2003
Location: UK
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 05:22


Why bother?
All it does is make the risks bigger.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Sulaiman
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1368
Registered: 8-2-2015
Location: Walsall, England
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 07:11


I suspect that the recoverable quantities of radium would be microscopic (c1 microgramme per watch)
- or intensely radioactive (37 x 109 Bq/g)




WARNING: despite the number of stars & posts I have, I am only an amateur with a poor memory nd I make mistakes and may occasionally give erroneous advice
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 10:42


Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Why bother?
All it does is make the risks bigger.

I've always wanted to posses radium salts, it's an ambition of mine. To have a reasonably pure quantity of one of the most important and famous radioactive elements.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
metalresearcher
National Hazard
****




Posts: 434
Registered: 7-9-2010
Member Is Offline

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 11:09


You'll get 1 microgram of Ra compound when you are lucky.

Read this page of the world's largest online chemistry textbook and you'll know that you can forget about it. Unless you pay millions of $$$ to get a gram of Ra compound from e.g. Dubna institute.




DJT is for the USA and the world as ClF3 is for humans.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
unionised
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3174
Registered: 1-11-2003
Location: UK
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 11:36


Separating the Ra doped Ba from the watch hands might be a reasonable prospect at home.
Departing the Ra from the Ba isn't.
It might be a "kitchen" project with a larger quantity- as long as you didn't mind radiation sickness etc

What experience do you have with trying to isolate ng/ µg samples?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 01:47


Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Separating the Ra doped Ba from the watch hands might be a reasonable prospect at home.
Departing the Ra from the Ba isn't.
It might be a "kitchen" project with a larger quantity- as long as you didn't mind radiation sickness etc

What experience do you have with trying to isolate ng/ µg samples?

My experience is a little limited, but there. I planned on isolating it with Ba, in say, 2 gram quantities. The hands I have contain a lot of paint, maybe an eighth of a gram each, and I have eight. So with barium I could work on a 2 gram scale. I don't know how I'd remove the zinc sulphide though.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
unionised
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3174
Registered: 1-11-2003
Location: UK
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 01:57


Removing the zinc sulphide is the easy bit.
If you can't work that out, stop before you do any damage.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
j_sum1
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3136
Registered: 4-10-2014
Location: Oz
Member Is Offline

Mood: inert even with vigorous stirring.

[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 02:46


It would be a pretty massive clock hand to have an eighth of a gram of paint. And if you have eight of them as you say, that makes 1 gram. I don't know where you get your two gram scale idea from.

I'm concerned that if you can't manage some simple estimation and basic maths then you aren't likely to do a great job with what is likely to be a fiddly little separation.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 05:47


Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
It would be a pretty massive clock hand to have an eighth of a gram of paint. And if you have eight of them as you say, that makes 1 gram. I don't know where you get your two gram scale idea from.

I'm concerned that if you can't manage some simple estimation and basic maths then you aren't likely to do a great job with what is likely to be a fiddly little separation.

The 2 grams comes from the eight massive hands and 1 gram of barium sulphate carrier. This is all to make a neutron source.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
unionised
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 3174
Registered: 1-11-2003
Location: UK
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 05:52


How big can a watch hand be?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
phlogiston
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1096
Registered: 26-4-2008
Location: Neon Thorium Erbium Lanthanum Neodymium Sulphur
Member Is Offline

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 17-9-2017 at 05:59


You could try the method originally used by the Curies to extract radium from the uranium ore waste left after the U had been extracted.
Briefly: boiling for a while in concentrated sodium carbonate solution converts the radium sulfate to radium carbonate. It can then be dissolved in hydrochloric acid. You can then remove undissolved impurities by filtering and precipitate relatively pure radium sulfate from the solution by adding sulfuric acid.

This thesis describes the procedure: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Artem_Matyskin/publicat...

Incidentally, there is also a photograph of a macroscopic amount of radium sulfate on page 18.

As others mentioned, working on ng/ug is difficult. You risk losing a large fraction if not all of your product. So, adding a little barium to act as a carrier will help a lot, even though it will contaminate your product.

[Edited on 17-9-2017 by phlogiston]

[Edited on 17-9-2017 by phlogiston]




-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 19-9-2017 at 09:36


Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
How big can a watch hand be?

They're clock hands, and early ones, when more paint was used.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Radium212
Harmless
*




Posts: 14
Registered: 26-6-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 19-9-2017 at 09:40


Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
You could try the method originally used by the Curies to extract radium from the uranium ore waste left after the U had been extracted.
Briefly: boiling for a while in concentrated sodium carbonate solution converts the radium sulfate to radium carbonate. It can then be dissolved in hydrochloric acid. You can then remove undissolved impurities by filtering and precipitate relatively pure radium sulfate from the solution by adding sulfuric acid.

This thesis describes the procedure: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Artem_Matyskin/publicat...

Incidentally, there is also a photograph of a macroscopic amount of radium sulfate on page 18.

As others mentioned, working on ng/ug is difficult. You risk losing a large fraction if not all of your product. So, adding a little barium to act as a carrier will help a lot, even though it will contaminate your product.

[Edited on 17-9-2017 by phlogiston]

[Edited on 17-9-2017 by phlogiston]

Thanks for the referral! I was going to use 1 gram of barium sulphate carrier.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
UkAmateur
Harmless
*




Posts: 10
Registered: 4-8-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 19-9-2017 at 11:52


Well I learnt something new today!

I was under the impression true luminous watch hands utilized Tritium.

A quick google suggests that applies to higher end/older model watch's.

All sorts used today. Including the material in topic.

Thanks for the learning curve folks!

(Sorry I don't have anything intelligent to actually add lol)

Cheers
View user's profile View All Posts By User
phlogiston
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1096
Registered: 26-4-2008
Location: Neon Thorium Erbium Lanthanum Neodymium Sulphur
Member Is Offline

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 19-9-2017 at 12:38


You will typically find older luminous paint is radium-based.
Promethium has also been used, approximately since the 50's, but it's half is so short that any Pm will have decayed by now.
Only more recently has tritium become 'popular'.




-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top