Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Forced air soxhlet extraction? Could it work?
TheIdeanator
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 15:31
Forced air soxhlet extraction? Could it work?

I want to reduce the running temperature of a soxhlet setup while also not shutting it down. I read another post where another person wanted to hook their cheap glass up to a vacuum system, but most were concerned the delicate parts and potentially low quality of the glass would cause failure. The glass of my soxhlet isn't that great, it has bubbles around the joints and it seems sketchy.

Probably dumb question here, but if the air were sucked from the top of the reflux column, heated to >= the solvent temperature, then forced through the side neck of a 2 neck flask in order to create circulation and encourage the solvent vapor to move in that direction, would the ultimate temperature needed to run the system be reduced noticeably or would I just be impacting the surface temperature?

I don't know about the physics of evaporation to have a handle on this but my thinking is that if the solvent rich gas phase is forced away from the surface at a given pressure, than the solvent depleted phase replacing it should actively suck out solvent.

“I will show you fear in a handful of dust.”
― T.S. Eliot
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2017 at 15:35

The liquid in the flask would rise until it reaches its boiling point or approaches the temperature of the hot air, so this is probably not going to do what you want.

Go To Top