Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My video: Making 1,2-Dichloropropane
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 23-9-2017 at 15:57
My video: Making 1,2-Dichloropropane

Hi guys,
I made some 1,2-Dichloropropane and uploaded to Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XngF-jzhKI

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 05:44

Wow I think that was a heroic Heath Robinson set up but apparently you succeeded in making some. Excellent, award yourself a gold star.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 07:08

Tip: skip the hideous noise in the back ground! would rather hear nails on a chalk board!

I cant give that a thumbs up with good conscience with that as is! If the brain numbing head ache inducing noise was gon it'd definitely get one! Text to speech would be better.

Other wise nice job, but I think a slight procedure change could make it easier for you, if you injected the propene mid stream of the Cl2 gas then ran through a condenser to collect the product in another large volume flask to scavenge any stragglers then vent to atmosphere or neutralizing stack.

You can adjust gas flow ratio for best yield that way too

If you have a good oxy propane torch and some diamond cutting bits those small florescent tubes are excellent building material for gas phase reactions. and to add surface area use some solvent washed fiber glass after cooking it off at 200c to burn off the plastic coating they use.

All so pool cleaners will give more efficient chlorine then a bleaching powder/pool shock.

[Edited on 24-9-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]
vmelkon
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 09:35

Thanks for the feedback.

XeonTheMGPony:
I have downloaded a text to speech program but I did not use it this time. I'll give it a try for my next video.

The thing is that when the gases react, it make individual 1,2-dichloropropane molecules. Then, the 1,2-DCP molecules collide with each other and stick together forming a large drop. The large drop is suspended (you can't see that in the video but I could see them by shining a laser through the bottle). It takes a while for them to hit the bottle walls and then large drops poor down to the bottom of the bottle.

So, I'm not sure how well your idea would work. Perhaps the fiber glass would accelerate things.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 09:54

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Tip: skip the hideous noise in the back ground! would rather hear nails on a chalk board!

I cant give that a thumbs up with good conscience with that as is! If the brain numbing head ache inducing noise was gon it'd definitely get one!

[Edited on 24-9-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

Try this

clip.jpg - 104kB
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 04:22

Interesting apparatus. Two gases reacting to form a liquid product was always going to be a difficult one. I appreciate the ingenuity.

Some progress to be made on video production. The background music was a distraction. Not all of it was awful in the right context but it just didn't work here. Sharp focus, good lighting and a tripod would have worked wonders.

Not sure why you got a black decomposition product on the second distillation. The final product looked clean but if something was reacting in the distillation flask then it might still not be pure.

Can I ask what you intend to use this for? Or was it just for the challenge of production?
vmelkon
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 16:27

I had recorded with my older camera, so the video parts aren't high quality. I have bought another camera recently, so future videos will be shot with it.

My guess is that the propene isn't pure. Perhaps these Unknown molecules combined during heating and formed some heavier molecules. Unfortunately, I'm an amateur and don't have advanced equipment. We need NurdRage here.

Quote:
Can I ask what you intend to use this for? Or was it just for the challenge of production?

I have no plans for it.

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 19:09

I do not enjoy introductions in the videos and I, like most people I think, would rather that the video get right to the point. Start with a hello, or "Greetings fellow nerds" at the most. After that state the purpose of the video and how you will you will achieve it.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2017 at 03:41

That's the purpose of the glass fibers or even glass balls it is to give large surface area to trap the suspended liquid droplets and allow them to condense out, or provide reaction surface area depending on the behavior of the system.

As I said old fluorescent tubes make good material or convenient for making reactor stacks. Making the apparatus is half the fun IMO

Go To Top