Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical solvents that were/most likely were discovered before the 16th century
khourygeo77
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 11:07
Chemical solvents that were/most likely were discovered before the 16th century

I have a list, I'm not sure if there are more

1. Ethyl alcohol
2. Methyl alcohol (chemists used to distill wood so they must have used it sometimes)
3. Alkanes (petroleum was widely known by chemists)
4. HCL - HNO3 - H2SO4 following distillation of common salt or potassium nitrate or sulfur that were widely known
5. Acetone in distillation of metal acetates
6. Ammonia & water in distillation of fecal matter
7. Diethyl ether - ethoxide (mixing the very used ethanol with sulfuric acid then bases like CaO or KOH)

Anyone knows about more?

Thanks
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 12:28

You are probably looking at mixtures mostly.

Turpentine
Paraffin wax
Olive oil

I don't know when acetic acid was first purified or when it was first used as a solvent but it was certainly around.
khourygeo77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 12:33

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You are probably looking at mixtures mostly.

Turpentine
Paraffin wax
Olive oil

I don't know when acetic acid was first purified or when it was first used as a solvent but it was certainly around.

yeah forgot that. Was called spirit of vinegar (dilute acetic acid)
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
24-9-2017 at 13:44
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 13:46

Diethyl ether is believed to have first been synthesized in 1275. Also, the properties of water as a solvent have been recognized since the era of Ancient Greece (800-500 BCE).

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 24-9-2017 at 15:48

Probably lard and melted butter, for your nonpolar solvents. Glycerol would have been left over after making soap.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 13:46

Sulfuric acid nee vitriol comes to mind, although it isn't that often considered a "solvent". Wikipedia tells me that acetone was obtained by distillation of lead acetate (itself known to the Romans) in the Middle Ages and that Islamic alchemists discovered kerosene. Ammonium chloride was known in China although it isn't quite a "solvent". Various essential oils were distilled by alchemists but these were not pure substances and they were probably not used as solvents. Acetic acid was also obtained in the Abbasid era.

[Edited on 25-9-2017 by clearly_not_atara]
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 16:47

There is also benzene, which comes from an arabic word. I don't know if the arabs produced benzene or not.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 26-9-2017 at 00:52

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
There is also benzene, which comes from an arabic word. I don't know if the arabs produced benzene or not.

"The word "benzene" derives historically from "gum benzoin" (benzoin resin), an aromatic resin known to European pharmacists and perfumers since the 15th century as a product of southeast Asia.[12] An acidic material was derived from benzoin by sublimation, and named "flowers of benzoin", or benzoic acid. The hydrocarbon derived from benzoic acid thus acquired the name benzin, benzol, or benzene.[13] Michael Faraday first isolated and identified benzene in 1825 from the oily residue derived from the production of illuminating gas, giving it the name bicarburet of hydrogen.[14][15] In 1833, Eilhard Mitscherlich produced it by distilling benzoic acid (from gum benzoin) and lime. He gave the compound the name benzin.[16]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

/CJ
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 26-9-2017 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  

"The word "benzene" derives historically from "gum benzoin" (benzoin resin), an aromatic resin known to European pharmacists and perfumers since the 15th century as a product of southeast Asia.[12] An acidic material was derived from benzoin by sublimation, and named "flowers of benzoin", or benzoic acid. The hydrocarbon derived from benzoic acid thus acquired the name benzin, benzol, or benzene.[13] Michael Faraday first isolated and identified benzene in 1825 from the oily residue derived from the production of illuminating gas, giving it the name bicarburet of hydrogen.[14][15] In 1833, Eilhard Mitscherlich produced it by distilling benzoic acid (from gum benzoin) and lime. He gave the compound the name benzin.[16]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

/CJ

For the gum benzoin,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoin_(resin)

" Its name came via the Italian from the Arabic lubān jāwī (لبان جاوي, "frankincense from Java")."

but perhaps I'm not remember it right. I thought the arabs calld it benzin or something.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 22:15

For the gum benzoin,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoin_(resin)

" Its name came via the Italian from the Arabic lubān jāwī (لبان جاوي, "frankincense from Java")."

but perhaps I'm not remember it right. I thought the arabs calld it benzin or something.

Pretty sure it comes from the same root as the name "Benjamin". Like, the tree was called "tree of Benjamin" or something.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 23:29

I'm fairly certain that the first solvent commonly used was dihydrogen monoxide.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 00:14

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
I'm fairly certain that the first solvent commonly used was dihydrogen monoxide.

Very probabaly.

I suspect that styrene (from gum styrax) was made at about the same time as benzene.

Go To Top