Author: Subject: Transition metal waste
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 05:22
Transition metal waste

Good day, everyone.
I've been dabbling in the chemistry of the transition metals lately,
(Specifically Ni, Co, Fe and Mn) and have gained a significant amount of waste so far. I have roughly one gallon of waste NiSO4 in H2O, one gallon of Co salt waste, and one and a half gallons of my own failed attempt to precipitate CoCO3 & Co(OH)2 from a solution of [probably] CoCl2 and CoSO4 (I'm left with a slurry/paste). When the local transfer station does their hazardous waste disposal day, will they take it? Or do they usually only take domestic items, like fluorescent bulbs, thermometers, etc? What's your guys' experience with this, if you have any? Any advice is appreciated, It's annoying having gallons of christmas-themed waste lying around.

sclarenonz
Hazard to Self

Mood: only the mission forget past

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 05:35

I think you could throw a small amount of hydrochloric acid to make an even more ionic reaction that would be very difficult to decompose, or use nitric acid or vinegar for rapid decomposition to be used as fertilizer
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 06:00

Quote: Originally posted by sclarenonz  
I think you could throw a small amount of hydrochloric acid to make an even more ionic reaction that would be very difficult to decompose, or use nitric acid or vinegar for rapid decomposition to be used as fertilizer

I'm confused. You're suggesting that I use potentially carcinogenic metal salts as fertilizer?

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 06:11

My area has a yearly "waste amnesty day" where you can take household hazardous waste to the landfill for no charge, which might be similar to what you're talking about. Coincidentally, it's today and tomorrow. I've taken waste there twice now and, while they look at you a little strangely, they take whatever I've got with no questions. I've given them glass jugs just labeled Acid Waste and Base Waste (I know, that's terrible; I should specify what metal salts are in there), as well as mercury contaminated materials from handling and cleaning elemental mercury. No problems so far!

Oh and don't put carcinogens on your lawn :)
sclarenonz
Hazard to Self

Mood: only the mission forget past

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 07:48

Sorry for the confusion, and small quantities not be toxic, I'm talking about breaking down a lot of water and playing in a very large space of land, for example spreading 1 liter in 30 meters, this will be useful for bacterial life , we know that the extremophiles consume anything, but of course we will never use a very high molarity, it has to be semre in very low concentrations, until our body needs a small amount of carcinogenic compounds.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 09:20

"Does the neighborhood have a body of water?" I did actually know someone who disposed of waste secretly in this manor.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 09:35

Sorry for the confusion, and small quantities not be toxic, I'm talking about breaking down a lot of water and playing in a very large space of land, for example spreading 1 liter in 30 meters, this will be useful for bacterial life , we know that the extremophiles consume anything, but of course we will never use a very high molarity, it has to be semre in very low concentrations, until our body needs a small amount of carcinogenic compounds.
This post is carcinogenic.

Regardless though, my advice would be that since the waste solutions are likely fairly dilute, treat them with bicarbonate to precipitate any metals, then leave them out in the sun to evaporate. Just put some wire mesh or something over the top to keep critters from getting in. Once it's fully evaporated, you'll be left with a sludge of metal carbonates and sodium salts which can be mixed into cement or disposed of more easily, being much more compact.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
This post is carcinogenic.

Regardless though, my advice would be that since the waste solutions are likely fairly dilute, treat them with bicarbonate to precipitate any metals, then leave them out in the sun to evaporate. Just put some wire mesh or something over the top to keep critters from getting in. Once it's fully evaporated, you'll be left with a sludge of metal carbonates and sodium salts which can be mixed into cement or disposed of more easily, being much more compact.

Burnt.

Anyways, I've heard a few times about the cement route. That won't release any salts? I mean, just mixing the liquid in, not the Carbonates or Hydroxides. Would that work?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 09:51

If you mix water soluble salts in, they'll leach out over time. If you mix carbonates or hydroxides in, the only way they'll leach out in an appreciable amount is with acid. So no, you'll need to precipitate any transition metals first.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2017 at 09:57

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
If you mix water soluble salts in, they'll leach out over time. If you mix carbonates or hydroxides in, the only way they'll leach out in an appreciable amount is with acid. So no, you'll need to precipitate any transition metals first.

Okay, good to know.
Thanks.

Go To Top