Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making cranberry glass, glass colored by gold nanoparticles.
CaCl2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 01:31
Making cranberry glass, glass colored by gold nanoparticles.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/NXAnC

I wanted to have some gold colloids in my element collection, but the aquatic solutions are always at least somewhat unstable. After some research I found out about cranberry glass, in which the particles are embedded in glass, making them very stable.

I only wanted a small fragment, but the only form I could find it was sold in was expensive decorative glassware, and apparently most glass sold as "cranberry" is just imitations and fakes.

So I had made my own: I bought a gram of gold, dissolved some of it in HCL/Na(NO3) solution to make a potassium tetrachloroaurate solution and then heated it with some glass fragments using a propane/butane torch.

The resulting color was uneven, but clearly red/pink.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, would "Miscellanous" have been better than "General"?

I also posted this on the chemistry subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chemistry/comments/75fqmx/homemade_...

[Edited on 10-10-2017 by CaCl2]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 02:53

General is OK for this post.

Interesting experiment. I also want colloidal gold in my element collection and I have the same issue. After some time, the nice pink/purple colloidal solution precipitates and a dirty brown/black precipitate is formed with a clear solution above it.

Could you please elaborate on the details of your preparation? Did you really purify the gold-compound, or did you just add some solution to the glass and then heat it? Did you crumble the glass and heat that, mixed with the gold-containing solution?

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
CaCl2
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:23

I didn't purify it in any way, just used a dessicator to concentrate the solution a bit. It's possible using pure material would give a better result.

I attached a small glass fragment to the soldering holder thing you can see on the background in one of the images, and then placed a small drop of the solution on it with a pipette.

Then I heated it, starting gently to evaporate the water, then moving the flame closer to melt the glass. The torch I used seemed to only barely reach the required temperature.

It's surprisingly simple to get some color, getting an even, strong red is apparently much harder.

I also tried adding some tin (II) chloride to reduce the gold, and using a less concentrated gold solution, but neither gave good results.

The tin chloride resulted in a brown color, indicating the formation of too large particles, the dilute solution gave no color at all.

My collection is very small scale, so I think I will use the tiny fragment with even color for it.

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 03:36

Nice. I am impressed. I had sort of given up on the idea of having colloidal gold in my element collection but I hadn't really considered glass. I might need to rethink although I will probably have the same heating issues as you had since I am using similar heating equipment.
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 14:09

It's actually not that hard to do by metal spray on glass

gold glass.jpg - 64kB

If you just melt the glass with the gold spray it goes a nice even red, a little bit goes a long way for colour effect.
CaCl2
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 10:52

Quote: Originally posted by Chemetix  
It's actually not that hard to do by metal spray on glass

If you just melt the glass with the gold spray it goes a nice even red, a little bit goes a long way for colour effect.

Like melt some of the gold and then spray the glass with it?

While that would might be simpler, it requires far better/more expensive equipment than the method I used.

[Edited on 29-10-2017 by CaCl2]
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 12:30

You could do vacuum deposition but it does require a vacuum pump , a chamber and a heat source.

Go To Top