Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A good digital scale
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 23:12
A good digital scale

I am just starting out and am wondering what's a good digital scale. I can search on ebay all day, but if I don't know which ones are crap, it's pointless. I'm looking for something that shows at least 1/10 of a gram, can display in imperial units, and has a maximum of around 2500g, though something with a max of 1000g would be alright. I'd like to spend under 30$ (college) though I can go higher. I have absolutely no idea how much something like this costs, so forgive me if what I said is ridiculous.

[Edited on 9-2-2007 by egloskerry]
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 00:06

You want a digital scale that has a max capacity of around 1000 - 2500 grams with a precision of 1/10th of a gram...for $30? If you can find a scale like that, make sure and tell me about it.
It is not likely you will be able to find something like that...not for only $30 at least.

Unless you want to spend big bucks, you need to make a decision as to whether you want a high capacity or high precision. If you want to be able to measure a few thousand grams at a time then you can get a scale with a 1 gram precision at a reasonable cost. If you want to measure with accuracies of 1/10th of a gram, then your max capacity drops to about 500 grams before the price starts going way up.

I have a 500 g, +/-1/10 g scale which is very popular on eBay and I am quite pleased with it. The only downsides are that the weighing surface is a little small and sometimes I want to measure out things over 500 grams in one batch.
I also have a 3000 gram max capacity scale with a precision of 1 gram. It has a much larger weighing surface and I have the larger capacity that I want, but it is not as precise.
And finally, to round off my collection, I have a 100 gram, +/- 1/100 g scale in case I want even more precise measurements of small items.
3 different scales for 3 different jobs…all about for about $20 each on eBay.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 11:40

Then I'd prefer to have the higher max weight as opposed to the higher precision.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 12:06

Check out a company called myweigh. They sell some pretty nice scales. I don't know if you will find what your looking for but it is worth a try.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 12:32

Also look at postal scales. I bought one at a local office supply store for around $US 30, it displays to 1 g and has a max capacity of 2.2 kg. My biggest gripe is that I have to reset it to metric mode every time I turn it on, it defaults to barbarian units (US).

I also have a MyWeigh scale, 125 g capacity, displays to 0.05 g. I don't really trust it to better than 0.1 g, but this is probably the single piece of equipment I use most often. It cost me around $60 (new).
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 20:22

Thank you very much. You guys have been very helpful. I wish I could have some kind of lab, but living in a 4 bedroom apartment, with my room being about 100 sq ft, I don't have much room.

Go To Top