Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electro-Etching of Titanium
rolynd
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 07:10
Electro-Etching of Titanium

I want to electro-etch titanium and want to know if anybody has an idea what to use for electrolyte. I am staying away from strong acids, usually metal salt solutions will work good, I use plain tablesalt for steel, coppersulfate for copper and aluminum, ironsulphate works also for brass and bronze.
From the thread on titanium it seems titaniumsulfate wont work as it needs strong sulfuric acid to be in solution.

markingmethods.com sells an electrolyte for titanium at an outrageous price which I'm not willing to pay but from there I know something works.
Any Ideas?

PS:Tablesalt and coppersulfate do work on titanium but only a very very litte bit no good etch possible.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 09:13

Something with fluoride and acid, no doubt. :o

Does the hexafluorotitanate ion form without acid? Not-too-acidic sodium or potassium fluoride might do it.

If you don't wish to oxidize with electricity, H2O2 may work, although Ti complexes readily with peroxide, possibly making that a bad choice...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 09:29

I have some recipies that are claimed to work for electreolytical etching of titanium. All of them contain alkali fluoride or hydrofluoric acid. Typical recipie is NaF strongly acidified with mixture of acids containing sulfuric and nitric, phosphoric or chromic acid.

If you decide to try this do it outside and be sure that no electrolyte gets in contact with your skin! It may well kill you through skin absorption because of HF content.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 09:47

Before I went anywhere near using HF and its salts I'd put some effort into checking if things like tartrate or oxalate form soluble Ti complexes. (And if they didn't I'd probably give up rather than use HF)
rolynd
Harmless

sad.gif posted on 9-2-2007 at 11:52
So, no easy way it seems

Thanks guys,
as said I will stay away from using strong acids and especially something like HF and try some more harmless stuff. I have etched with acids before even with good results but you have to be careful. A dangerous mix of acids and toxic substances is not sonething I like to have around the shop. preferrably I work the way mentioned before. Its always wise to know someones limits.
Regards
Roland
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 14:48

Try oxalic acid.
gerarddekker
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 01:56

I stay away form HF. I am using this stuff for etching : http://www.biketweaks.com/titanium-etching-multi-etch-europe

trying to figure out what is in it. I think it's Amoniumpersulfate mixed with something else.

Go To Top