Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cleaning H2SO4 (Cu & Fe SO4 contaminates) without distillation??
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2017 at 19:57
Cleaning H2SO4 (Cu & Fe SO4 contaminates) without distillation??

I have some sulfuric acid that has contaminates of copper and iron sulfate (possibly some minimal others like chromium sulfate). I was wondering if there is any way to clean this up without distillation?
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2017 at 07:35

I suspect that getting copper or iron to precipitate in some insoluble form would be pretty much impossible as H2SO4 attacks most, if not all of those compounds.

This posted below is a shot in the dark, as I'm not too experienced with electrolysis other than The basic stuff like making hydrogen or chlorine or copper plating (half-assed job that didn't bond properly to the steel).

But maybe if you diluted it enough you could use electrolysis pull at least most of the metal out of solution and then boil it down again.

However, even if this does work, unless the contaminants are there in large amounts and you just want to get it somewhat more pure you may run up against some limit to the deposition because of the low ion levels in the dilute acid.

I know electrolysis can give you very pure metals, but I'd be surprised if it can be used to make the solution very pure by removing those metals completely. But it would be great if I'm wrong.

Go To Top