Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organic chem video favour
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 07:42
Organic chem video favour

Hi
I kinds know its a bit much to ask but there you go.

Anyone heard of the Organic chemistry tutor channel on you tube?

I would appreciate it if someone could literally flick through a vid for me (1-2 mins worth :D) and let me know if its worth the 4 hour time investment. yes its 4 hours long hence why i just need a quick flick through it. he has alot of organic chem vids, i struggle like mad with this, but i like the style of his videos.

my issue is I dont want to spend all that time learning something thats wrong!! I spent two hour watching and making notes the other day on a video, then looking at my chem books i spotted some big mistakes.

Thanks
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 07:54

Seems to check out, although I wouldn't consider it a substitute for a good book. In my opinion the answers are given too quickly (in video formats in general) and therefore do not allow you to 'reproduce' the answers. Also the multichoice type answers are not what I would consider a didactically responsible way of testing organic chemistry knowledge.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 09:05

Quote: Originally posted by Sigmatropic  
Seems to check out, although I wouldn't consider it a substitute for a good book. In my opinion the answers are given too quickly (in video formats in general) and therefore do not allow you to 'reproduce' the answers. Also the multichoice type answers are not what I would consider a didactically responsible way of testing organic chemistry knowledge.

Thx

i agree with the questions bit, but for me its about getting the basics first. I struggle with the way the newer format of organic chem is written.

For example methyl and ethyl drawn just as lines coming off a carbon branch, for some reason my mind dosnt connect it with any meaning . I just see zig zag lines.

the pic below is a good example, while i understand this supposedly gives more information, to me it means nothing. Its taken me ages to work out the different symbols that show if a molecule is coming out the page towards you, or going in the other direction.

Finding a consistency in books is really hard, older books i find easier, but newer books really confuse me, so these videos are to try and get over this mental block.

cap2.png - 33kB
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 09:27

Corners represent carbon atoms with full octet. Hydrogen atoms are omitted for clarity as it would be too cluttered otherwise. For learning I recommend drawing these implicit hydrogen atoms and then later omit them as you get used to the concept.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 09:35

thx for that. I have ordered a ball and stick kit. Also I am trying to down load a jmol thing.... not too sure what it does exactly, but apparently you put a fomula in and it shows you the molecule in 3D. But dont quote me on that, i havnt got it working yet.
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 11:34

Ball and stick models are actually quite slow to build up and when breaking down it makes these plopping noises. Atleast you can tell by the noise when someone's using the kit during an exam :P. Atleast you'll figure out in no time at all why you'd want to ignore the implicit hydrogen atoms.

I personally prefer minit molecular building kit from cochranes of oxford (http://www.cochranes.co.uk/c44-minit-molecular-modelling-kit...). Combine the cheapest set with a generic fish tackle box and you're set for under 30 bucks.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 12:06

Quote: Originally posted by Sigmatropic  
Ball and stick models are actually quite slow to build up and when breaking down it makes these plopping noises. Atleast you can tell by the noise when someone's using the kit during an exam :P. Atleast you'll figure out in no time at all why you'd want to ignore the implicit hydrogen atoms.

I personally prefer minit molecular building kit from cochranes of oxford (http://www.cochranes.co.uk/c44-minit-molecular-modelling-kit...). Combine the cheapest set with a generic fish tackle box and you're set for under 30 bucks.

Cheers I will get that, i really like the old book of writing stuff, but i realize i got to learn the zigzag lol.

I think the hardest part is learning the basics, like simple things, colours of each atom and things like that. What the double lines mean, the fact benzene has its own symbol. All this to me is the start, but very very slowly i am starting to grasp little things.

I am sure organic chemistry is alot of fun, once you get to understand the basic principles.

Go To Top