Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Found concentrated H2O2 at big box store - gallons
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 11:08
Found concentrated H2O2 at big box store - gallons

So I was stopping by to pick up a few things at the local Home Depot and decided to look at the plumbing section and they had an "environmentally friendly" drain field cleaner (not exactly drain cleaner...?). I checked the MSDS and it says H2O2 10-30% for about $25 which isn't too bad over-all if especially if it is 30% and you have no other sources.

I also found KOH at the same location, same brand - Pequa - Super heavy duty drain cleaner - but it is also 10-30% KOH solution (thought it is listed as "trade secrecy ingredient") and it's $10 for 32oz which seems expensive, especially if it is only 10%!
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 13:00

I was planning on going to Home Depot this evening, so I'll be on the lookout!

Another source of OTC peroxide is Baquacil Oxidizer, found in pool supply stores. The SDS lists it as 27.5% hydrogen peroxide.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 18:24

Thanks RogueRose, It sounds like a good source of H2O2

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 18:38

I have AquaSilk Non-Chlorine Pool Shock, which is also 27% peroxide, $20/gallon IIRC. I bought it at a Leslie's pool supply store. These commercial concentrated peroxide sources are always inhibited, which is good in a way since it allows it to have a long shelf life, but it could potentially interfere with reactions. I haven't had problems with it so far. I just wish they'd disclose what the inhibitors are.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 19:50

In my experience the "inhibitors" tend to be "phosphoric acid" and "acid, phosphoric" whenever it's transparent, anyway. ;)

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 19-10-2017 at 06:31

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I have AquaSilk Non-Chlorine Pool Shock, which is also 27% peroxide, $20/gallon IIRC. I bought it at a Leslie's pool supply store. These commercial concentrated peroxide sources are always inhibited, which is good in a way since it allows it to have a long shelf life, but it could potentially interfere with reactions. I haven't had problems with it so far. I just wish they'd disclose what the inhibitors are.

Do they sell it at any other places that you know of?
Or just "Leslie's"?

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 19-10-2017 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  

I also found KOH at the same location, same brand - Pequa - Super heavy duty drain cleaner - but it is also 10-30% KOH solution (thought it is listed as "trade secrecy ingredient") and it's $10 for 32oz which seems expensive, especially if it is only 10%!

I bought a bottle of this at one point out of curiosity. Not only is it expensive, but it's also got a fairly substantial quantity of blue dye.

Go To Top