Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Peat Extract
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 08:14

There is so much info, i would need fish names to narrow it down.

Maybe next week when I get some time, grab me on skype, often chemistry is a small part of the breeding trigger, I have alot of experience with south American Dwarf Chichlids, I keep and breed alot of the rare types. I can probably help you better from Skype messenger.

Passing papers to you is a bit easier also as many are not really chem related.
Attachment: martin2007.pdf (452kB)
This file has been downloaded 357 times

EDIT
I am going to guess your targets are Parosphromenus deissneri or similar species, is that correct?
[Edited on 22-10-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 08:29

If that is correct, then you would for example do a search and start at a paper like the attached, then go through the references listed and look any relevant ones.

But I think directly searching the species of fish gives you a better chance.

Attachment: ng1994.pdf (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 376 times

e.liska
Harmless

Mood: Harmless

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 08:31

Now I have Luciocephalus. But Parosphromenus also fit my interest.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 08:43

Try these, pm me your skype details. Doing it by guess work like this is hard to know what info you want.

You need to chase up some of the references in the papers to get better info.

Attachment: 42_71.pdf (5.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 293 times

Attachment: 4-5-31-731.pdf (432kB)
This file has been downloaded 283 times

e.liska
Harmless

Mood: Harmless

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 09:14

I do not have skype, I use irc for instant messaging. I would love to recreate water conditions, say for the Luciocephalus, as close as possible, including the seasonal variation. But believe me, that kind of info is lacking in the literature, pH, conductivity and some anorganic parameters are usually listed (even that not very reliably), but the organics info is lacking ("water in the biotope is black" is the usual level of information provided). So I want to expand that black color information to more specific chemistry, or when doing experiments, know better why my mixture of peat, oak leaves and alder cones (for example) works well or not.

In my experience regarding fish, water + food is 99% of the equation. Food is tricky (for example hormones from living insects cannot be replaced by any commercial food) and the water even more so. But so far, it has been all experiments and alchemy, I would like to engage more (bio)chemical theory.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by e.liska  
I do not have skype, I use irc for instant messaging. I would love to recreate water conditions, say for the Luciocephalus, as close as possible, including the seasonal variation. But believe me, that kind of info is lacking in the literature, pH, conductivity and some anorganic parameters are usually listed (even that not very reliably), but the organics info is lacking ("water in the biotope is black" is the usual level of information provided). So I want to expand that black color information to more specific chemistry, or when doing experiments, know better why my mixture of peat, oak leaves and alder cones (for example) works well or not.

In my experience regarding fish, water + food is 99% of the equation. Food is tricky (for example hormones from living insects cannot be replaced by any commercial food) and the water even more so. But so far, it has been all experiments and alchemy, I would like to engage more (bio)chemical theory.

There is alot of info on water chemistry in different areas. often its more simple than that however. Water is not the same two days in a row let alone two seasons and yet fish breed.

If you goto the area however you find some things are the same.
just as an example...

Wild caught cardinal Tetra are difficult to breed, but if you raise the nitrates gradually and feed live foods, then suddenly lower nitrates and TDS you can trigger spawning.

Also another avenue is not just the peat but as you mentioned, look at the species of tree and breeding season of fish. if the spawning comes after fall then the leaves may play a part, so look for related tree species and use those leaves instead.

Gouramis are most likely to spawn during harsh conditions or just after harsh conditions. So look at how to keep Ammonia low and up nitrates. This you can do by good filtration and then add additional nitrate.

Get access to the ref section of forum, When I get a chance I will post any info I can find on water in the area and the fish you have mentioned. Trying to replicate the actual chemical composition is not easy, but personally I think this can be more general.

Following the seasonal pattern of water quality in the area is more likely to give results.

Give me a few days and I will see what I can find

But try the other trick as well, look at the other fish found in the same area, often you can get breeding info on these, obviously the water conditions etc will be the same if they breed same time of year ;).

This is what many commercial fih farms in those areas do.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-10-2017 at 09:37

This is a good example, blackwater is often considered acidic and little calcium, however read this paper on the areas your interested in, some are blackwater swamps, the water is peat based but not very acidic, it also has alot of calcium in.

I think this is more like the information you will need. Again try and search for the papers to follow up that are mentioned in the bib on the paper. then ask for those papers in the ref section.

Attachment: johnson1967.pdf (1.3MB)
This file has been downloaded 259 times
Some files are too large to post. one that gives alot of water info on the area is
http://repository.um.edu.my/41864/1/AJEES,%201_1_,%201-16.pd...

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A%3A1026004315978

https://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/10641

http://www.razipublishing.com/archives/ESMY/2017-issue1/1.%2...

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roshani_Othman/publicat...

There is definitely alot of water specific information of the areas in google scholars and some the journals.

http://ctsa.org/files/publications/CTSA_13563177793752850177...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top