Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: WIN-IR Software for Biorad FTS 175/375 (FTIR)
hinz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 05:10
WIN-IR Software for Biorad FTS 175/375 (FTIR)

I recently bought a Biorad FTS 175 FTIR for my homelab for 600€ ;), the spectrometer is working nice, after i isolated the HV-transformer for the HeNe laser, the isolation was damaged.
The Win-Ir software is on the computer, the guy who sold it, gave me with the spectrometer. But a stupid windows error prevent the starting of the software.
Maybe someone here has a CD with some kind of win-ir software in company where he's working or he knows someone who has it. He could upload it to rapidsahre or on one of those forum FTP-s. Some other software compatiple with the biorad FTS175 would be also great.

Thanks
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 07:05

what year was the software published in and what version of windoz is in the machine you are running?

hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 08:30

The software is from 1993-1996, I can't even open WIN-IR, I get a Error message like in the picture below. The title of the message is "WIN-IR Protection Plug Error", below "Read Plug Error". I've looked into the files of the Win-Ir software, and the files were created between dec. 1993 and 1996, so I expect the software is made in these years. I also know it's Win-Ir 4.0, I've read somewhere that the version 3.0 is only for win 3.1. The version 4.0 runs at win 95, my computer runs also on win 95.
Version 3.0 is also good, I only want to get some spectra from the machine so I could install win3.1

There is also a GRAMS/AI software, it should be also compatiple with the FTS 175, according to this link:
http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/resources/resources_detail/1,2...
Maybe someone has GRAMS/AI?

FTS 175.jpg - 74kB
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2007 at 15:29

I think I now know what the "WIN-IR Protection Plug Error" means. I mailed several persons at some universities who use eighter Win-Ir or a FTS175 and one replied that the software somehow checks the serial number of the spectrometer before it an be opened.
So each spectrometer has its own software, this kinda suxxs:mad::mad:.
This also explains why the error comes from Win-Ir and not some kind of windows error, but in the Win-Ir handbooks aren't any hints to this error.

Now I'll learn first 8086 assembler and then I'll try to debug the Win-Ir.exe file and see whether I can somehow crack the software, but I haven't any experience in this area yet and the source code of a 850Kb file is pretty long too:mad:.

Anyone with a favorite debuger and some experience in the area, I only know I have to look for a sequence in the code that compares the serial number with the spectrometers serial numer saved somewhere and jump over this sequence without looking whether the serial number fits or not
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-2-2007 at 05:23

What exactly is this device used for?
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 3-6-2007 at 05:16

Quote:
Originally posted by hinz

Now I'll learn first 8086 assembler and then I'll try to debug the Win-Ir.exe file and see whether I can somehow crack the software, but I haven't any experience in this area yet and the source code of a 850Kb file is pretty long too:mad:.

Anyone with a favorite debuger and some experience in the area, I only know I have to look for a sequence in the code that compares the serial number with the spectrometers serial numer saved somewhere and jump over this sequence without looking whether the serial number fits or not

Filesize doesn't matter if you know where to put breakpoints with softice. Old version (win98) of SoftIce (or IDA pro) shall definitly do the job, google for these, there might bee a download link still out there, you'll need a hexeditor if you want to patch (which is easier solution)... If you can't find them I can look for them as I have them on old CD somewhere.

[Edited on 3-6-2007 by Sandmeyer]

ayush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2007 at 20:05

I am using FTIR-8101A from Shimadzu. Now the computer is to be changed. Unfortunately I dont have software CD can any one help me.

winnie_pooh
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2007 at 02:46

Win-IR software needs a dongle to be able to run, without the software won't run.
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2009 at 07:25
Undongled WinIR 4.11

Here is my (reversed by me) WinIR 4.11 with a dongle emulator build into the Gramshl.dll. Its a complete installation, so no need to copy alot of files. Because WinIR is programmed for Win3.x/Win9x, the drivers are old and if its run on WinXP, it will report the "Read Plug Error" although it runs fine on Win9x.

As far as I know its useful for the Biorad FTS-7, 25, 40, 135, 175 375 and 575. So I hope it will be of some use for those amateur chemists who will get or got such a instrument second hand without dongle or software.

The patched gramshl.dll is probably generic for all GRAMS32 based acquisition programs, so if someone wants to use his GRAMS32 without dongle, my gramshl.dll could also help.

Download here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RP7R4IVF

Hashes for "WinIR 4.11 Hashed Release.rar" are:
MD5 : 3D043B4C8E3039F78B0153D2FF8CFB32
RIPEMD-160 : 3370345A4E60710A52B3F11ECF9031716B9B3BA5

BTW: Was alot of fun, mostly done by SoftICE 4.05 on a P1 120 Mhz.
andre178
Hazard to Self

Mood: pacified

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 13:13

love you guys!
andre178
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-8-2010 at 16:02

I purchased a biorad ftir fts-7 from ebay (it said it was academically used and in good working order), but it came without software, so I used the Win-IR you provided, only it cannot find the ISA card on the PC, nor can it save the config files to the hard drive. I was wondering if it would be complicated to try to look up the machine code and try to connect through C++ and obtain information off it?

I know the FTS-40 usually comes with IR2 software that is UNIX based. Anyone have any suggestions how I can obtain spec from this machine (who turns on fine seemingly).

hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-8-2010 at 02:05

Hi Andre,

In the attachment is the FTS.CFG file which I salvaged from the original harddisk using Knoppix. Load it into the WinIR directory and the configuration trouble is hopefully gone, at least on my computer.

And here is a <a href="http://img42.imageshack.us/i/p8140010.jpg/">photo of my ISA card</a> in case you wonder whether we have the same cards. Note the jumpers in the upper right corner, which determine the I/O Address you have to set in the WinIR Software.

Good luck installing your FTS-7 and have fun.

Attachment: FTS.CFG (28B)
This file has been downloaded 1554 times

[Edited on 14-8-2010 by hinz]
andre178
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 13:02

Thank you for the config file,

do you mind posting ftscnfg.ini, FTS-7 and maybe -40 have a Neon-Helium laser and that is not one of the available options on this WIN_IR version. I would just add it in, but I don't know the number code for this laser type. Is there any place I could purchase Win-IR? I will pay someone $ for the CD.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by andre178]
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2010 at 16:09

Here you go.

Forget about the CD. I also tried to get the CD form Biorad and Varian (which bought the BioRad department which made FTIRs) and had no success, maybe I just didn't offer them enough money ;).

After I had completed the dongle patch, a nameless source mailed me all files of his WinIR installation. Then I removed the nameless source's name form the program, repacked the files and uploaded it here. Since BioRad didn't help me, I continue the program support here as good as I can. :D

Edit: More missing files

[Edited on 20-8-2010 by hinz]

Attachment: Mising Files.rar (81kB)
This file has been downloaded 1385 times

hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 09:33

Quote:

A few years ago you posted this link for WinIR software for a BioRad FTIR. Since megaupload.com is no longer functional, do you have another copy to spare? This is another basement project looking at analyzing evolved gases from a TGA

Thanks in advance, RSOpper

Here you go:
http://hotfile.com/dl/144594207/5b27d06/WinIR_4.11_Hashed_Re...
or
http://www.gigaup.fr/?g=PFCDI3VBQP

Old package, old hashes, if there're missing files, contact me.
MD5 : 3D043B4C8E3039F78B0153D2FF8CFB32
RIPEMD-160 : 3370345A4E60710A52B3F11ECF9031716B9B3BA5

[Edited on 31-1-2012 by hinz]
matkar
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 05:57

Hello everybody,
I came across this thread searching for information regarding a Bio-rad FTS 165 spectrometer I got recently. I have also got a computer with a Data translation DT2801 ISA card installed. The computer has two disks installed. One has MS DOS with a DTGALLER folder (DTGALLERY is a collection of three programs from Data translation for controlling DT2801 board) and the other disk has Win98 installed. Unfortunately the Win98 disk doesn't boot normally. I have to use safe mode to make it boot. Furthermore I can't find any spectrometer related program (Win-IR or GRAMS/AI) installed on it. I suspect the disk has been switched from another computer which would explain the inability to boot normally.
No Win-IR dongle is installed in the parallel port. I have no diskettes or CDs.
I have a bunch of documentation from Data translation, a book from GRAMS and two books from Bio-rad. I suspect at some point previous owner has been using Win-IR which was probably installed on some other disk I don't have. I have no way to find out what really happened.
Since I'm totally new at this I'd appreciate very much some feedback and help regarding making my unit work.
Unfortunately the links to patched Win-IR hinz has posted are broken. Can anybody repost those please?

I attached a photo of the insides of my unit.

Regards,
Mat

DSCN1569.JPG - 186kB
matkar
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 06:34

Since I don't know if the Bio-rad spectrometer is even functional I'd like to check with you if the behaviour I get is normal. When I switch the unit on (without the computer) the Power and A/D indicator lights switch on, the laser turns on and the moving mirror twitches every two seconds or so. I have attached a short video to show the mirror movement.
Can anybody verify this is OK?

Attachment: mirror.avi (7.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 1152 times
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 17:28

Here you go

Attachment: WinIR 4.11 Release.7z.001 (6MB)
This file has been downloaded 1106 times

hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 17:32

and #2

Attachment: WinIR 4.11 Release.7z.002 (4.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 1509 times

Shane Howard
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2015 at 04:37
did you ever fix this

Hi
did you ever get this tool running ? let me know I maybe able to help

Shane

Go To Top