Author: Subject: rudeness on the board
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 19-3-2007 at 03:08

Quote:
Originally posted by chemrox
I find this kind of thing distatseful

I find your existence distasteful, yet you don't see me complaining. Oh, wait...

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 19-3-2007 at 16:02

These forums are pretty civil compared to elsewhere on the net, but I have occasionally seen some haughtiness toward neophytes. No, I have never felt it directed toward me, and no, I am not going to supply concrete examples. I don't think it takes a genius to see that a couple posters occasionally resort to vinegar when they could have used honey, or at least plain water.

But I'll tell you what. Rudeness applied out of all proportion is an excellent way to turn someone off from learning. I knew a woman who told me a story that goes like this: when she was little, her teacher asked students in class where their ancestors were from.

The girl's answer was "Austria-Hungary".

The teacher snapped, "there is NO SUCH COUNTRY!", pulled the girl up in front of the class to show everyone what a fool the girl was. Guess what, the stupid old bat of a teacher was wrong-- Austria-Hungary was an empire that most definitely existed, and the girl's ancestors were most definitely from that place. Pity that a schoolteacher had such a poor grasp of geography and history.

Being authoritative without a trace of humility is just a bad habit to get into.

I can't blame the forum moderators for wanting to maintain the quality of their board... so... I guess when it comes down to it, if someone flames you really badly just because you asked a newbie question, it shows more of a personality flaw on their part than a display of their supposed über-knowledge.

If someone corrects you sternly on a board, you are free to counter with the same... of course it helps if you can show them why they're wrong.

----------
edit: fixed a typo

[Edited on 19-3-2007 by Pyridinium]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top