Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium hydroxide and ammonium nitrate product?
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 10:58
Calcium hydroxide and ammonium nitrate product?

I was looking into making some calcium nitrate as I don't have access to it nearby, and Wikipedia happens to say that:

It can also be prepared from an aqueous solution of ammonium nitrate, and calcium hydroxide:
2 NH4NO3 + Ca(OH)2 → Ca(NO3)2 + 2 NH4OH

I was planning to do this last weekend as I have both chemicals on hand. But then I recalled that calcium ammonium nitrate was the double salt. So if I were to indeed perform the above reaction, would some calcium ammonium nitrate be produced? If it is produced, how would I convert it back to calcium and ammonium nitrate?

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 11:38

An excess of calcium hydroxide will ensure that all of the ammonium ions are converted to ammonia and can be removed by evaporation/ distillation.
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 11:55

Alright. Thanks for the input.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 13:58

If you are new enough to chemistry to ask the question- Some safety aspects should be mentioned. Just in case you don't have a nice fume hood, and possibly work indoors?

Ammonia. Gas.

Once your solution is saturated, that ammonia is coming off the reaction (and it will be looking for your water containing tissues to dissolve itself into- starting with your sinuses, eyes and LUNGS). Ouch. Since you don't want to waste a lot of time and energy to recover your nitrate, you will be working with about as concentrated a solution as possible, one would expect.

Also, the warmer the reaction solution, the less of the ammonia that will be able to stay dissolved, and the more you will need to deal with as an escaping gas. Your reaction releases HEAT. Lots of heat, potentially enough to boil the water.

Think carefully before hand about how large a synthesis you might want to run, and how you're going to handle that ammount of ammonia gas.

Best do this outside?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 14:04

I plan to either do this outside or do it in an Erlenmeyer flask with a tube leading into an acetic acid trap to neutralize the ammonia gas, depending on the weather conditions of my area. Worst case scenario my lab area has adequate ventilation so if any of the ammonia gas does escape from the acid trap it would be removed from the area.

EDIT: To add on, I do have experience with the ammonium salt + NaOH reaction, but because it doesn't form a double salt, I was questioning if calcium hydroxide would form the double salt, so I was wondering about any other required reaction conditions. Wikipedia sadly doesn't give enough information about these reactions.

[Edited on 10-29-2017 by ninhydric1]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 16:10

Heck, lead the ammonia through a dryer cartridge, then perhaps collect it as a liquid via a collection flask immersed in a mixture of dry ice & alcohol.

Your very own anhydrous ammonia source. Followed by building yourself an Ostwald process plant, and all the nitric acid you need?
:P

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 16:41

Oh, I wish. $1500 for 0.01 cubic meters of Pt-Rh mesh? As tempting as practically infinite nitric acid sounds, my wallet thinks otherwise. :(

Who knows? If I suddenly win the lottery, I'll send you a liter for free ;).

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 17:08

you can get five ft of wire for as little as $340, make your own mesh, I am guessing five ft will make a nice ball in a glass tube.

https://www.surepure.com/Platinum-Rhodium/a/1433
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 18:00

You don't need expensive mesh or wire. You don't even need platinoid family metal, good results are available from Cobalt, see example #4 of the below.

Attachment: 00x31vl3d220.pdf (3MB)
This file has been downloaded 616 times

If you can get access to a kiln and the chemicals, you can make a ceramic foam catalyst without super expensive materials. Note my statement of "now, about a cheap source of ammonia gas"...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2329

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Rather than start a new thread, here is a patent of interest to those contemplating (or electroplating!) Ostwald process catalysts...

Catalyst for production of nitric acid by oxidation of ammonia
US 5336656 A

http://www.google.com/patents/US5336656

Example #4 caught my eye... No noble metals. A catalyst and substrate that a sophisticated amateur might make at reasonable cost. LOW PRESSURE OPERATION WITH HIGH EFFICIENCY.

Now about finding a cheap source of ammonia gas?

Quote:

EXAMPLE 4 A foam structure 8 inches in diameter and 0.8 inches thick and containing 30 pores per inch was produced by immersing a polyurethane expanded foam into a ceramic slurry of cordierite (magnesia alumina silicate) powder, After firing to temperatures in excess of 1300° C. the ceramic foam was dipped into an aqueous colloidal dispersion of alumina containing about 20% by weight of Al2 O3. The sample was dried and calcined to 500° C. for one hour, The foam was found to have picked up 8% by weight alumina. The alumina coated foam was dipped onto a solution of 12% zinc as zinc neo decanoate in toluene. The weight pick up measured after calcination to 500° C. was 5%. This zinc oxide and alumina coated foam was then dipped into a 12% cobalt as cobalt neo decanoate in toluene and dried and calcined at 500° C. The weight pick up was 15% as cobalt oxide. This catalyst was placed in the ammonia oxidation reactor and ignited with the electric spark ignitor. The reactor was run for two weeks before evaluation, Analysis of the ammonia input to the reactor showed 10% ammonia in air, The output was measured at between 9.1 and 9.4% NO giving a corrected conversion of 92 to 95%. Pilot Plant Trial Experience (comparison with Pt gauze) The reactor chamber of the pilot unit utilizes 16, 8 inch diameter gauzes. The flow rate is 600 scfm which gives a linear velocity of 1.355 meters per second and an approximate pressure drop of 1.9 inches of water. The feed is approximately 6.7% ammonia in air. The reactor operates at 4 psig and atmospheric pressure is about 13 psig. A platinum catalyst on foam was prepared with 10.5% Pt on an 8 inch diameter 0.80 inches thick, 30 pores per linear inch alumina foam. This catalyst loading had a platinum loading of 1.38 troy ounces in the reactor. (The metal contained in the gauzes pack was 9.94 troy ounces.) At this metal loading the metallized ceramic catalyst is electrically conductive with a resistance of about 0.4 ohms per inch. This metallized foam was placed on a non metallized alumina support segment and mounted in the reactor. The gauze reactor was operated at 760°-800° C. The performance of the catalyst was checked by taking samples of the reacted gases and titrating for nitric acid and ammonia. Twelve samples were taken over a six hour run. The results showed that the gauze converted 95% of the ammonia to nitric acid and furthermore in the absorption system used approximately 45-46% acid was produced. The metallized foam converted up to 96% of the ammonia to nitric acid and for unexplained reasons gave a stronger acid strength of about 50%. After these tests were completed only the acid strength was used to monitor the performance and nitric acid was produced for an additional 60 days. At the end of the 60 days, the catalyst was performing acceptably, with no evidence of reduced activity and the run was stopped only to recover the catalyst for analysis. Assay showed that there was no metal loss (assay in 10.50% assay out 10.54%) and there was no loss of performance was detected. TABLE 2______________________________________Comparisons of Foams to Gauze Thickness of Foamto Match Gauze(Surface Area of 80 mesh gauze is 1.53 Square meters of wire persquare meter gauze) Pressure Drop at 1.355 m/sec, (inPores Per Linear Inch Thickness of Foam H2 O)______________________________________10 0.229 cm 0.7220 0.114 cm 1.3830 0.076 cm 1.9050 0.046 cm 6.11______________________________________ From about 12 to 15% Pt by weight the metallized structure has a continuous and electrically conductive film. The ceramic surface is substantially coated. Table 3 below shows the platinum reduction achievable by using the coated form. This made possible because the ceramic makes up the core and the platinum is on the surface where it is effective as a catalyst. TABLE 3______________________________________Comparisons of Pt loadings on Gauze and MetallizedCeramic Foams(Coated at 12% by weight)(80 mesh wire gauze has 1.78 troy ounce per square footof gauze)Pores per linear inch TO/Sq Ft______________________________________10 0.114520 0.057230 0.038250 0.0229______________________________________ It is estimated that the catalysts and process according to the present invention, if substituted for the conventional platinum gauze can reduce the metal content of the catalyst charge over 90%.

[Edited on 30-10-2017 by Bert]

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 18:12

Wow, I didn't know polyurethane could stand such high temperatures. I might actually consider this project in the future. It would be interesting to be able to replicate a standard textbook catalysis reaction.:o

EDIT: That is, if I can also find a way to replicate the Haber process.:(

[Edited on 10-30-2017 by ninhydric1]

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 18:19

Gah.

THE POLYURETHANE BURNS AWAY. THINK "LOST WAX PROCESS".

And if the smiley didn't give it away, no, I don't think the "beginnings" forum quite supports this fabrication technique or the referenced pilot plant size process line.

(But I won't be mad if you prove me wrong about that last).

[Edited on 30-10-2017 by Bert]

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 18:43

That patent is a good find. It looks like a combination zinc/cobalt/aluminum oxide catalyst. Any substrate appears to work with just the zinc/cobalt oxide catalyst.
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 19:04

But is decanoic acid even a commonly accessible reagent? Wikipedia says metal salts are used as paint driers and polymerization initiators, interestingly. Time to look at MSDSs.

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-10-2017 at 19:27

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
But is decanoic acid even a commonly accessible reagent?

Is US $98.00 a kilo too expensive?

I actually have no idea what it would take to synthesize the Zn and Co decanoates, but I have seen the Co salt listed as the primary active ingredient in non Lead based "Japan dryers" for oil paints, so possibly accessible OTC. The Zn compound I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, you might have to synthesize that yourself. Hmm. Where are Zn and Co relative to eachother in the reactivity series...

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 08:21

Per this source: https://www.academia.edu/292096/Kinetics_and_Mechanism_of_Co... and my experience with this reaction, suggests to me that the reaction of Cu with aqueous NH3 and H2O2 forms primarily [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2](OH)2 and a significant amount of NH4NO2 also (have ammonia and H2O2 well in excess of copper). This is evident from the amount of N2 released in about 10 minutes into the reaction from the unstable (and very toxic) NH4NO2. Other sources on this forum claimed that adding NaOH or Na2CO3 is said to promote a stable nitrite product. Here is an extract (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11781):

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  
There is info on it, but you have not looked hard enough. The following below from Gmelin mentions the catalysts are NaOH, Na2CO3, Zn dust, Pt, or Pd-H2.

Ammonium nitrite is also a sensitive explosive with about the power of tetryl: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=pri...

Reaction between H2O2 and aq. NH3 can also give an azine when a ketone is present. This is the basis for the "Peroxide process" for production of hydrazine.

[Edited on 5-10-2011 by Formatik]

So, I would try adding Ca(OH)2 in place of NaOH, and see if you get any of the very soluble Ca(NO2)2 with possible conversion of the latter into the nitrate with added steps.

Note: the solution must remain alkaline, as otherwise aqueous NH4NO2 may decompose violently (reported source of lab explosions). Here is a comment I once extracted from Wikipedia (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NH4NO2 ):

"Ammonium nitrite solution is stable at higher pH and lower temperature. If there is any decrease in pH lower than 7.0, It may lead to explosion. It is desirable to maintain pH by adding Ammonia solution. The mole ratio of Ammonium Nitrite to Ammonia must be above 10% mole ratio.

NH4NO2 → N2 + 2 H2O "

Caution: the dried salt may be unstable (energetic, like in explosive) owing to a possible copper impurity, so I would not recommend obtaining/employing a dry salt for safety reasons.

[Edited on 30-10-2017 by AJKOER]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 08:41

I'd imagine long-chain fatty acids could substitute for each other easily enough, (they're just going to burn away anyway) in which case you could just get MCT oil from a health food store, and hydrolyze the triglycerides. "MCT" stands for medium-chain triglycerides, and it's basically oil that has fatty acids with carbon chains between 6 and 12 carbons long.

edit: Why would Ca(OH)2 + NH4NO3 metathesis release heat? It'd be endothermic, no? NH4NO3 dissolution is endothermic, plus you have two endothermic phase changes.

Also, if you want cheap anhydrous ammonia gas, the best you can do is probably thermal decomposition of urea. My dad buys that by the ton for spreading on his fields, and I know he's not rich. It produces LOTS of ammonia gas, and leaves cyanuric acid residue. Cyanuric acid can be thermally decomposed into isocyanic acid at significantly higher temperatures, which hydrolyzes into CO2 and NH3 when dissolved in water. Most of the CO2 bubbles out, leaving aqueous ammonia solution.

[Edited on 10/30/17 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top