Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best Mask and cartridge for Halogens?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 14:10
Best Mask and cartridge for Halogens?

I am looking for a better gas mask, I have been using one with a cartridge for organic solvents like used in paint spraying.

I had a slight fume hood malfunction at the weekend, the gas generated overwhelmed what the hood could remove, no problem I put on the gas mask.

This is when I discovered it dosnt keep all the Chlorine out!! Further reading suggest cartridges should be used just once and no more than 50 hours!!

Do others seriously change them that often? £15 each seems alot of money, but is cheaper than new lungs i guess. Nothing exciting happened I managed to get it under control and safe within a few mins.

Fume hood had got a little blocked with dust on the carbon filter plate on the exhaust, must remember to check that each time i use it.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 14:38

This one could protect against chlorine: https://www.amazon.com/3M-62023HA1-C-Professional-Multi-Purp...

The package states that it is not intended to protect against levels of toxins that are immediately hazardous to life and health, but I remember once wearing one standing for about 15 minutes in enclosed room containing a cloud of nitrogen oxide fumes. I did briefly remove the mask, and the air was completely unbreathable, but I was quite comfortable in the mask... given a choice between breathing hydrogen cyanide with and without the mask, I'd take the mask. Note that the package also says it's not for home use, so you can't sue the manufacturer if you die while using one... but aside from that detail, the specifications read as though it was designed for home lab use.

I don't think it protects against carbon monoxide, and I'm not sure about ammonia, but mine has worked against everything I have thrown against it so far.

I also have a cheap imported mask that protects fine against organics but not chlorine. It can be rather unpleasant to discover the limitations of such masks.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 14:56

I should have said I am looking for a full face mask if I can. Although the one you link too would be good to have as a back up.

Most look like solvents with a boiling point under 60C are not covered, although mine seemed fine when I used chloroform without a hood. I used the mask as I was using the chloroform a fair bit, I dont actually like the smell of chloroform at all.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 17:34

First of all, a respirator is not something you can just throw on and expect to work. You need to do some training and practice first, either with a professional (in an commercial setting) or in front of your computer with a youtube video (in the amateur lab setting). It has to form a perfect seal with your nose and mouth, which means if you have facial hair you're gonna have to shave.

Secondly, cartridges are normally disposed of after one use, however since we as amateur chemists cant afford to do so, you need to carefully store them after use. The best way is to put them into a ziplock bag, otherwise they absorb water vapor from the air and become useless after half a day.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 17:44

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
First of all, a respirator is not something you can just throw on and expect to work. You need to do some training and practice first, either with a professional (in an commercial setting) or in front of your computer with a youtube video (in the amateur lab setting). It has to form a perfect seal with your nose and mouth, which means if you have facial hair you're gonna have to shave.

Secondly, cartridges are normally disposed of after one use, however since we as amateur chemists cant afford to do so, you need to carefully store them after use. The best way is to put them into a ziplock bag, otherwise they absorb water vapor from the air and become useless after half a day.

Growing face hair.............I wish :D

You tube vids... will do cheers

Smelly benign stuff in lab to practice.... will do

Ziplock bag and keep dry.. Top tip cheers!

Some the simple dust cartridges are cheap, i might practice with some of those, oddly enough i hate my face covered, but even if i never have to actually put one on again, i dont want to get into another situation and have no mask.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 19:15

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Growing face hair.............I wish :D

You tube vids... will do cheers

Smelly benign stuff in lab to practice.... will do

Ziplock bag and keep dry.. Top tip cheers!

Some the simple dust cartridges are cheap, i might practice with some of those, oddly enough i hate my face covered, but even if i never have to actually put one on again, i dont want to get into another situation and have no mask.

The difference between dust cartridges and vapor cartridges is that dust cartridges can be used indefinitely without losing efficiency, and it will simply become harder to breath through (realistically there is a point where it is simply too uncomfortable but I have not yet reached that point ever), while vapor cartridges will eventually become saturated and will stop absorbing toxic vapors.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 20:38

I've actually used the one above for chlorine a couple of times without incident, not to mention bromine, and I've never bothered storing the cartridges in a plastic bag... they seem to last a long time... the first time I ever used a respirator it was for tear gas, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has done that.

In general, you want to try to avoid situations where a respirator is required through the use of ventilation, traps, hoods, etc. But if you need a respirator, don't be afraid to use one.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 00:56

I have a fume hood, it had become blocked and chlorine got out in volume. The mask I have is not the best but I think the cartridge is the wrong type. I could smell chlorine a little with it on, the situation wasnt that bad and only took a min or so to get under control and get the hood closed up etc.

I looked for Halogen specific cartridges for my mask, it dosnt look like any of them will fit the one i have. So time for a new one. My main fault was not keeping the fume cupboard filter thing clean and dust free, it looked alot like a pc heat sink when it hasnt been cleaned!. full of dust and crap on the mesh.

So I guess it restricted the fume hood air flow, I dont have a problem putting a mask on if needed, but i hope i dont actually need it again. If i do then something has gone wrong. I dont work in large volumes normally, and the worst things I work with are NO2 and Chlorine.

I use alot of Chloroform but I redistill that regularly. I would love some Bromine, but I dont have a use for it and dont have a easy way to store it. Got to admit though I do love the colour :D

Go To Top