Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Anyone want to swap chemistry stuff?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 07:18
Anyone want to swap chemistry stuff?

So, I have a lot of crap I don't need, and I assume I'm not the only one. Here is some of it:

• Various gauges of kanthal wire
  • Left-over naphthalene
  • Ethyl vanillin
  • Several pounds of CuCl2
  • Lots of random fabric
  • Teflon sewing thread
  • Elemental selenium
  • Extra rubber grommets
  • Two 4cmx4cm high-power thermoelectric coolers
  • LOTS of random arduino attachments, since they often come several in a pack
  • Strong acid ion exchange resin (polystyrene sulfonate)
  • 543-3xMeO-BA
  • Silica gel
  • Polyvinyl alcohol
  • Glycine
  • Aluminum alloy that contains gallium and indium and reacts with water
  • A ruthenium ingot that I can chemically turn into a lot of black suspension, but probably doesn't contain much metal.
  • Benzoic acid
  • Calcium propionate
  • Ammonium chloride
  • Acetophenone
  • Benzophenone
  • Choline chloride
  • Phenylethylamine (PEA)
  • Oxone
  • TBAB
  • Chloroacetic acid
  • 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch diameter graphite rods, mostly broken.
  • A few MMO electrodes, 1-10 inches.
  • Extra swing-top bottles

And there's plenty more. This is all stuff I don't need to get rid of immediately, but would be willing to TRADE to other people for. So I'd want something in return. Since nobody here seems to have any money, and the ones that do are always wanting to low-ball, maybe regent swapping would work better? Probably also throw in a list of stuff you want, and possibly group buys as well, where if we find something available in large quantities for a discount, we can pool our money.

Potential group buys: pyridine, iodomethane, dibromomethane, sodium bis-something-aluminum hydride reducing agent in toluene (don't say the name that brings the kewl kids), precious metal salts (via dissolving the metals), etc.

Any thoughts?

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 09:27

I am looking for round bottom flasks, vacuum take off adapters, condensers, and other assorted organic glassware. I am in the South Florida region and have a large amount of 1L pyrex Flasks (one vacuum and another screw cap) and a few graduated cylinders.

If you are interested in a trade pm me.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 11:50

I'm always looking for glass ware, maybe a nice hot plate or heating mantle, and always looking for harder to get chems.

Things I have for trade are:

Red phosphorus
Para formaldehyde
Nitroethane
Acetic anyhydried
Benzaldehyde
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 13:29

How much red phosphorous?

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 15:57

Things I have:

Red Phosphorus
Acetic Anhydride
Isophorone
2-Naphthol
Sodium metal (in can)
Acetanilide
Cyclohexanone
Adipic acid
Ethylvanillin
2-chlorobenzoic acid (bought a lot at once, used like 30 grams on acridone synthesis)
Acetophenone
Adipic acid
Propiophenone
Paraformaldehyde
Hexamine
Lithium chloride

If you're interested in any of this, PM me and we can work something out. These are all things off the top of my head, so if you want something in particular ask and I might have some. I'm mostly interested in interesting organic reagents (substituted benzaldehydes, aliphatic buikding blocks, cool natural products) so if you've got some of those let me know. Otherwise I can trade for cash.

EDIT: found some more stuff!

Ferrocene
Hydroquinone
Potassium Chlorate (enough for chemistry, but not enough for pyro)
3,5-dihydroxybenzaldehyde
Perovskite grade Lead(II) Bromide
Methyl Anthranilate
Isatoic Anhydride
Guanidinium Carbonate and Guanidinium Thiocyanate
Salicylic acid
Resorcinol

[Edited on 14-11-2017 by Cryolite.]
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 17:02

I have 6 kg of sodium bromide I will trade for most anything.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 17:57

I still have some flasks, jointed glassware, and much more, mostly for sale, but might be willing to trade for other glassware. VSEPR_VOID, what size and joint type are you looking for? (14/20, 24/40, etc?)
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 01:56

I am looking for 24/40 glassware but out of curiosity what is the pricing on the other sizes? How much are you selling the 24/40 glassware for? I am looking for round bottom flaks (between 1000ml and 500ml) and condensers for the most part along with stoppers, and assorted adapters.

[Edited on 14-11-2017 by VSEPR_VOID]

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by Plunkett  
I have 6 kg of sodium bromide I will trade for most anything.

You're the one doing the periodic table display, right? Did you ever get any ruthenium? I could send some. Also I have some nice selenium samples, if you want. But I'd actually be quite interested in that sodium bromide.

Can't edit my first post, so I'd also add that I have:

• Propiophenone
  • KCN
  • BHT and ascorbic acid (antioxidants; BHT is nonpolar, ascorbic acid is polar)
  • Oxalic acid
  • K2CO3
  • TCCA
  • Triethylamine (only a small amount though)
  • Ninhydrin (very little of this too, but it's only used in very small amounts anyway)
  • NaBH4 (would part with it only reluctantly, but it's on the table)
  • LiAlH4 (same as above)
  • Oxalic acid
  • Sulfamic acid
  • 2-(Hydroxyimino)-1-phenyl-1-propanone
  • 14/20 vacuum adapter (the part that you attach the vacuum line to during distillation, I have two of them)
  • Tiny three-necked flasks (14/20)
  • A bunch of nalgene compression fit tubing adapters. These are EXTREMELY useful, and I have way more than I need. Will attach a photo if I think of it
  • Toluene
  • Sodium silicate
  • Vacuum grease, in a syringe (very convenient)

As far as stuff I need:

• Working ~200psi pressure gauge with a 1/8 NPT connection (this may be the same as MIP)
  • Working 1/8 NPT check valve that won't leak gases or break if it gets wet
  • 14/20 glassware, especially larger flasks or a shorter vigreux column (~100mm, can also be 24/40)
  • Another 24/40 to 14/20 adapter
  • A 1L flat-bottom flask, presumably 24/40
  • A soxhlet extractor

Note that if anyone got my name for Secret Santa, I may have answered the survey with the assumption that I really WAS asking Santa for things, and Santa had an unrestricted Sigma Aldrich account. So this thread might be better for that, for whoever got my name.

[Edited on 11/14/17 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 09:40

What Arduino attachments do you have specifically?

EDIT: I'm also interested in the MMO electrodes, Ru ingot, and Se pieces (which allotrope?)

I can offer CsCl, In, BaCl2 and Ba(NO3)2, various pieces of plastic or ground glassware, and some circuitry parts if you want/need them (high-power motors, thermistors, water pumps, ESCs, that sort of thing).

[Edited on 11/14/2017 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 10:26

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
What Arduino attachments do you have specifically?

EDIT: I'm also interested in the MMO electrodes, Ru ingot, and Se pieces (which allotrope?)

I can offer CsCl, In, BaCl2 and Ba(NO3)2, various pieces of plastic or ground glassware, and some circuitry parts if you want/need them (high-power motors, thermistors, water pumps, ESCs, that sort of thing).

[Edited on 11/14/2017 by elementcollector1]

I don't want to get rid of the bulk of the Ru ingot, but it's difficult for me to remove material from it. I do have a small amount of Ru sponge, but it's less than a gram. To sell the Ru, I'd have to convert it into sodium ruthenate, I imagine. The Se is black and glassy.

As for arduino stuff:

• H-bridge motor controllers
  • Thermocouple adapters
  • 3-axis accelerometers (note that these are restricted for sale to countries where terrorism is a big problem. I imagine they're useful for bomb-making?)
  • Bluetooth connectors
  • Differential pressure sensors (these need separate amplification circuitry)
  • 1-2 spare prototype shiels
  • Data collection shield (records data to an SD card, and basically expands an arduino's storage capacity to infinity)
  • WiFi shield (whatever the common one is)
  • Ethernet connectors, useful for running 8 wires between electronics that are separated by a significant distance
  • Random resistors, mosfets, ICs... though there should probably be a new thread if we start entering part numbers and such
  • Whatever I find if I clean my room

[Edited on 11/14/17 by Melgar]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 13:57

I'd be interested in the thermocouple adapters, if they're K-type compatible. Also maybe the prototype shields, though I've never used them before. Are they compatible with Arduino Mega/2560's?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 14:57

This thread reminds me of people trading rare Pokemon cards.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 19:26

I need Potassium Binoxalate. The only place I can find this is on Ebay for like $45/30gm shipped. I don't know why it's so expensive and hard to find.

I have lots of iron and copper compounds as well as lots of various metal shot incl. nickel and antimony.

I would also trade 1L 98% EtOH for 30gm Potassium Binoxalate.

[Edited on 15-11-2017 by Mr. Rogers]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 20:17

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
I'd be interested in the thermocouple adapters, if they're K-type compatible. Also maybe the prototype shields, though I've never used them before. Are they compatible with Arduino Mega/2560's?

I probably only have one extra prototype shield, and yeah, they fit on the megas. They just only cover part of it. The thermocouple adapters are indeed k-type, however I had trouble testing them last I checked. I'm pretty sure it was a different piece of hardware that was the problem. I'd probably throw in an H-bridge motor controller because I have twice as many as I'd ever use, and each one can control two motors. For anyone unaware, an H-bridge controller allows you to run a DC motor in both directions without a power source that supplies a negative voltage.

I also have an extra one of those blue and white OLED displays. Nice for displaying output in text form.

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  
I need Potassium Binoxalate. The only place I can find this is on Ebay for like $45/30gm shipped. I don't know why it's so expensive and hard to find.

I have lots of iron and copper compounds as well as lots of various metal shot incl. nickel and antimony.

I would also trade 1L 98% EtOH for 30gm Potassium Binoxalate.

[Edited on 15-11-2017 by Mr. Rogers]

You can get that just by neutralizing oxalic acid with potassium hydroxide, you know. I could whip some up for you in exchange for some nickel shot and/or antimony. Nickel shot would be a lot more convenient for making Raney nickel than the Canadian nickels that I currently use as my nickel source.
Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

I'm glad people are participating! I like the idea of acquiring new things without having to spend money, and I see I'm not the only one. I've also learned that Dr. Bob is probably a glassware hoarder. I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone here. ;)

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 20:28

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

I'm glad people are participating! I like the idea of acquiring new things without having to spend money, and I see I'm not the only one.
I love the idea, but I tend to get attached to my chemicals, and there are few things that I have in excess that are actually worth trading anyway. Generally I only buy things in bulk if I need them in bulk.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 20:36

You can make potassium bioxylate by combining boiling concentrated equimolar solutions of potassium hydroxide and oxalic acid. I'm not 100% sure what the best way is to purify it, but filtering, drying, powdering and washing it with hot methanol, drying on the pump, and and further drying it in a dessicator seem like reasonable steps.

I am interested in bipy, TEMPO, and n-phenylanthranilic acid. I have a fixed-speed overhead stirrer and a 300 watt stirplate that I would trade for something like calcium triphosphate.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 22:16

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I love the idea, but I tend to get attached to my chemicals, and there are few things that I have in excess that are actually worth trading anyway. Generally I only buy things in bulk if I need them in bulk.

Not to argue, but don't you ever have situations where something is only available in a quantity that's many times what you need? Or see a chemical for sale that's like $15 for 100g and $25 for 1000g, and feel like you'd be getting ripped off if you bought the 100g amount?

theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 05:29

Not to argue, but don't you ever have situations where something is only available in a quantity that's many times what you need? Or see a chemical for sale that's like $15 for 100g and $25 for 1000g, and feel like you'd be getting ripped off if you bought the 100g amount?

Lol, I have that all the time, like I once wanted to try making potassium via reducing it with magnesium in boiling paraffin oil. And I needed a littke tert-butanole, like a few mL's as a catalyst., and what I do, I just buy a whole liter of it lol. But I often find a dufferent use for them later.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 18:29

Heck, I have traded more than once with members here.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 19:05

Alright, admittedly I tend to be a bit of a chemical hoarder... Sometimes I have more of something than I'd ever need but I still hold onto it cause I feel like I'd regret it if I needed to buy more later on after trading some away.

Such occurrences are rare anyway though, because I have mostly gone in on bulk buys with other SM members in the past, or bought smallish amounts of reagents from other members.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 02:05

Anyone interested in sodium metal? I also have 10lbs of sodium benzoate, 10lbs of potassium permanganate, and 20lb of sodium sulfide. I also have lots of 250ml erlenmeyer flask and one soxhlet extractor. if interested pm me.

[Edited on 16-11-2017 by jamit]
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 17:44

I'd love some sodium. I'm in MN. What do you want?
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-11-2017 at 00:25

I decided to clean through my room and look for more things to offer for trade: (this combines some stuff from my earlier post)

Red Phosphorus
Acetic Anhydride
Isophorone
2-Naphthol
Sodium metal (in can)
Acetanilide
Cyclohexanone
Adipic acid
Ethylvanillin
2-chlorobenzoic acid
Propiophenone
Acetophenone
Adipic acid
Propiophenone
Paraformaldehyde
Hexamine
Lithium chloride
Ferrocene
Hydroquinone
Potassium Chlorate (enough for chemistry, but not enough for pyro)
3,5-dihydroxybenzaldehyde
Perovskite grade Lead(II) Bromide
Methyl Anthranilate
Isatoic Anhydride
Guanidinium Carbonate
Guanidinium Thiocyanate
Ammonium Thiocyanate
Salicylic acid
Resorcinol
3,4,5-trimethylbenzoic acid
Imidazole
Cinnamon oil
2-bromoethyl acetate
dimethylsulfamoyl chloride
Bathocuproine
Thiamin
Benzil
sodium m-nitrobenzenesulfonate
GABA
Ethylvanillin
Vanitrope
Acetanilide
Fluorene
Thiourea Dioxide
Anthracene
Crystalline Manganese Sulfate
gamma-Manganese Dioxide (self prepared)
3A molecular sieves
Sodium Hypophosphite
Potassium Carbonate
Chloroacetic acid
Xylose
Tris(N-nitroso-N-phenylhydroxylaminato)aluminum
Trimethyl Orthoformate
Tris(hydroxymethyl)methylamine (Tris buffer)
methanol-d1 (open bottle, unfortunately)
-------------------------------------------
Electronics:
He-Ne Gas Discharge Laser (with power supply)
Intel Galileo
Cole Parmer 7333-50 Peristaltic Pump (missing cassette and tubing)
all sorts of routers and wireless equipment, big and small
Pogoplug V4
Oakton pHTester 2
Wiced Sense Bluetooth Smart Sensor Tag
Punch Through LightBlue Bean
TI MSP 430 USB Debug Interface MSP-FET430UIF
A ton of TI-8x series calculators
Nikon Speedlight SB-9 (cool xenon flash thingy, mount is a bit fiddly)
A standalone lab stirrer (no heating-- honestly I've been using to stir coffee in the mornings)
Photon Wifi Development Kit

All sorts of little gadgets (phones, small toys, bluetooth devices, wifi dongles)
There's more stuff, (working + broken thinkpads, untested FPGA devboards, untested GPUs, a motherboard I should probably test, some more peristaltic pumps of various decriptions, a Commodore Plus/4, all sorts of signal filtering equipment, some good quality headphones, some ancient flash bulbs (they burn some fine magnesium wire to generate a bright camera flash)

Again I'm mostly interested in interesting organic reagents and building blocks, so if you've got some of those PM me.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2017 at 06:35
Slightly off topic but similar

I have quite a few common chemicals that I have previously made up as a 'kit' for a temporary member here, along with glassware, sprit lamp etc.

this is a list of chemicals that I feel comfortable posting;
Attachment: Postable.ods (13kB)
This file has been downloaded 400 times
I also have some glassware that I am willing to donate.

For the cost of p&p I can send samples of any or all on the list.
Sample size depends on my stock size and mood and may affect p&p cost.

Might be part of a starter kit for you ?
(I have a few introductory experiments in text for to go with the 'kit' if required)
U2U me ... especially for noobs

EDIT: If not within UK I may have to remove some items, e.g. redP to USA, within EU I guess no problem)

[Edited on 19-11-2017 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top