Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthetic pyrethroid insecticides corelated with ADD?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 17-11-2017 at 08:51
Synthetic pyrethroid insecticides corelated with ADD?

Will want to see some more research on this before tossing all my insect shield treated clothing and hats- But still... Just fucking lovely. And I was worrying about organophosphates.

Permethrin treated clothing- Insect Shield

https://news.rutgers.edu/research-news/common-pesticide-may-...

Looks like maybe modifying pyrethrum for greater environmental persistence wasn't such a good idea after all.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2017 at 18:08

It appears to be a mostly a problem for pregnant women and young children, so you are likely fine, once you are over 16-18, most brain development is long done, so much less risk. I would continue to worry more about organophosphates, which are quite toxic to all people of all ages (in a dose dependent manner). But I have not been fond of pesticide coated clothes, other than perhaps in places where the risk of malaria or similar disease is much more of an acute hazard. As bad as some pesticides are, the deaths from yellow fever, malaria, and other diseases were truly staggering back 100 years ago, so I am willing to take my risks. If you want to worry, I would consider perchlorates, barium and strontium toxicity as risks also. I also saw that Thallium was once tested as a colorant in fireworks...
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 05:49

AD(H)D appears to have something to do with the COMT enzyme. A particular ellele appears to breakdown dopamine in the synaptic cleft at a far greater greater rate. Combine this with certain SNP's that further effect the functioning of the enzyme and you have far less dopamine where it should be. Combine this a myriad of other things such as SNP's that code for DDR receptors and causes issues, mutations on genes that code for enyzmes that deal with ROS and issues relating to gluthione (can't remember what) ... also there is some evidence to suggest that those with serious mutations of the FAD gene (i think thats the one) have a greatly diminished ability to process Vitamin D plays a huge role in the bodies biochemistry.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 17:20

Thank you for the information- Could you do a little editing to add some things for clarity?

First, links to sources? Any names, whereabouts of documentation of the studies done, titles of research papers providing your information, any other sources used in case someone wants to follow up on these?

Second: It is customary to fully spell out terms used in a technical article at least once, the first place used, and place the acronym/initial letters to be used in subsequent iterations in brackets, for people who do not yet know the acronyms... Like me.

Also: SQUIRREL!

[Edited on 2-12-2017 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-12-2017 at 18:33

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Thank you for the information- Could you do a little editing to add some things for clarity?

First, links to sources? Any names, whereabouts of documentation of the studies done, titles of research papers providing your information, any other sources used in case someone wants to follow up on these?

Second: It is customary to fully spell out terms used in a technical article at least once, the first place used, and place the acronym/initial letters to be used in subsequent iterations in brackets, for people who do not yet know the acronyms... Like me.

Also: SQUIRREL!

[Edited on 2-12-2017 by Bert]

Yeah absolutely! I'll be happy to clean it up a bit and provide sources/papers etc. I'd be doing us all a disservice otherwise as my knowledge of the subject is rather broad and piecemeal.. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing after all! There are a lot of really interesting studies emerging in this field along with some crazy/novel hypotheses regarding the possible causes of things such as autism , AD(H)D, OCD etc...

Give me a bit and I'll sort it :)

Go To Top